Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Weekend Weather, are you concerned??

User Info Menu

Weekend Weather, are you concerned??

Well we are right at 3 weeks before our trip and Jamaica seems to be surrounded by weather. !st there is hurricane Rina to the west and NOAA invest 97L to the Southeast. As of today Hurricane Rina is not supposed to directly effect Jamaica directly but could have impacts. I can remember Hurricane Mitch destroying several cottages all along West end even though is was hundred of miles away due to hugh ocean swells it produced and the same thing happened last year during tropical Storm Nichole so we cant say they are out of the woods for Rina.

Then there is NOAA Invest 97L which several of the global hurricane models bring this area to cat 2 or 3 storm status and move it directly over the Cayman Islands and western Cuba and Brushing Jamaica.

We are Booked at the Cove Cottage at TP and our Friends are at Catcha in the Saggatirus starting Nov 17th and both of these cottages were damaged in Tropical Storm Nichole last year. Two issues we are looking foward to our trip and concerned it could get canceled due to weather and lastly concerned for our friends in Negril that definitely need all the business they can get do to a slow economy.

What are your thoughts have you looked at the trpoical sites

crown tropical weather
    Fox Hurricane
    www.stormpulse.com
    national hurricane center
    and the tropical section or wunderground

Timm
    Timm

Don't Tread on Me!
    The tree of Liberty needs to be refreshed from time to tim with the "Blood of Tyrants"

User Info Menu

Rina's bearing West heading towards Cancun last I checked....there will probably be rain and maybe some surge - I know when Wilma hit Cancun there was a good deal of storm surge that hit Negril. From the way Rina looks it shouldn't even be that. Also, Rina should be done an long over with in 3 weeks and I personally didn't see anything else brewing out there. Stop worrying - you can't control the weather. November is still hurricane season but when you are going, mid to late November, you should be OK.
    Last edited by rastagirl777; 10-25-2011 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Timm,

I think you have more of a chance being affected by this storm in FL than in Negril. Looks to me like Rina won't even get near JA.

Check out this current update http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45027451/ns/weather/

The other system I saw on noaa is supposed to have a 30% chance of becomming a tropical storm. Let's hope the cooler seas won't feed these beasts.

Timm
    Last edited by Ti2m; 10-25-2011 at 09:11 AM.

"Don't be no cloud on a sunny day" - Volkswagen's "Get Happy" Super Bowl ad

User Info Menu

Timm....I just got back last week and I stressed prior to my departure due to tropical depressions, hurricane season and the fact that every weather report said at least 60% chance of thunderstorms every single day of my trip. The weather ended up being beautiful almost every day and hardly rained at all.

My point is.....relax and focus on enjoying your trip and be positive about the weather. I hope you have as much luck with the weather as we did.

User Info Menu

Just go and stop worrying, If and that's a big IF you get any problems with storms or hurricanes just listen and do what the locals tell you and you will be ok,

User Info Menu

I wouldn't worry about it. You have 3 weeks. The weather in Jamaica will change quite a lot before then.

We are leaving tomorrow (Wednesday) for Jamaica and I am looking forward to the heavy seas!! The seas are quite rough right now. There are no boats anchored along the stretch of sand north and south of the Co Co La Palm. Besides, the temps will still be warm as will the ambiance.

User Info Menu

very nice waves right now at catcha....just the kinda stuff i enjoy. ocean spray topping da cliffs and the staff is scrambling to do a strategic retreat and save the valuables. banana shout had big waves and couldnt accommodate me staring and shouting at the ocean so i retreated back to ivans. good staff and plenty of liquor. sunshine and thunder in the distance with the waves exploding against the volcanic rock. could sit in this moment for a long while.

User Info Menu

I caught the tail end of two hurricanes in Jamaica, and it wasnt so much fun! So hope the weather is GREAT for you! Rule of thumb for me, is if my plane will take me there I will go, if not...then that's a pretty good sign to stay put!

User Info Menu

are the waves are large enough to do any damage, we have friends staying there in 3 weeks and we are ar tensing pen the same time in the cove cottage??
    Timm

Don't Tread on Me!
    The tree of Liberty needs to be refreshed from time to tim with the "Blood of Tyrants"

Administrator

User Info Menu

LTD,

Not yet, but there will be no way of knowing the extent until it is over. This is nature at work...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!