Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Weather in October

User Info Menu

Weather in October

I know the weather is close to impossible to predict but still think I can get some ideas and past experiences. We are staying October 16 - October 26. Staying up in the West end with some friends that live up there. What is the weather like that time of year? What is the beach/ocean like? Is it busy/slow in October? Anything special about October? Certain places closed during this time of year? Being Hurricane season what is it like there. We are getting trip insurance just in case.

THANKS A TON!
    Hope To See You Pon da Rock!!

User Info Menu

Re: Weather in October

I have visited Negril once in the month of October. I was there for two weeks and it did rain. I think I had about two days of steady rain, the rest of the days just had the usual afternoon showers that sweep through fairly quickly and then back to bright brilliant sunshine.

That is just my anecdotal experience. I think generally, in terms of statistics, October is a month that gets a lot of rain. But I would not let that stop me from going. You still should get plenty of good weather. Pack your sunscreen and swim suit for sure.

Enjoy.

P.S. - Contrary to popular belief, while Jamaica does experience hurricanes now and then, they are rather rare and the really bad ones are very rare.
    Last edited by halfwaytree; 04-06-2017 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I was there last October, towards the end of the month. Rained once if I remember correctly....last night there. Rest of the time was gorgeous! Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Still some risk of hurricanes, but on the waning side of the season.

See Hurricane Gilbert: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gilbert#Jamaica

$4billion US in 1988! Not a leaf to be seen on any of the trees.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

usually the first two weeks aren't the greatest....wi have had some of our worst tropical storms then...
    last two weeks are usually fine....but no promises......
    it's pretty dead in September and October in Negril since it's low season......
    starts picking up in November and good thru the end of April......
    May and June are absolutely dead too......
    believe it or not.....July and August are usually quite dry with a few showers...
    of course depending if any storms come thru in August.....which would be the end of August....
    November thru February wi see very likkle in the way of showers....April thru June hit and miss
    couple years in recent memory wi have had some good droughts in the Spring......
    this Winter was dry.....about three years ago wi had a lot of rain in da Winter....which was unusual.....

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    Still some risk of hurricanes, but on the waning side of the season.

See Hurricane Gilbert: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gilbert#Jamaica

$4billion US in 1988! Not a leaf to be seen on any of the trees.
    Don't need no stinkin' Wiki for Gilbert, I was staying on the Negril beach at the time! It was worse than anything I have ever read about it. I don't remember seeing any trees that were still upright. Leaves were everywhere, except on the trees. And it happened in mid September, not October.

October is technically our rainiest month, but I have seen some Octobers with minimal rain. And I've seen about 30 full Octobers...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Hurricane are unpredictable but in normal circumstances all you can expect is some rain

User Info Menu

This is all good news. I am not afraid of some rain. I will just kick back wherever I am, order a red strip and light up a smoke and watch the beautiful storm. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have been in January, going in October this year, March and November next year(probably do a summer trip in 2019). Excited to see, learn, and appreciate all of Negril seasons. If anyone will be in Negril in October this year and would like to grab a drink, have a smoke, or show me a couple cool spots I love getting to know people while traveling.
    Hope To See You Pon da Rock!!