Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night time security

User Info Menu

Re: Night time security

Quote Originally Posted by phineasfreakears View Post
    Agree with Mike for the most part. After going there a couple dozen times I feel safe 99.9% of the time. I always believe I can handle any situation that comes up. However after the senseless random killing of a tourist on the road near La Kaisers last May I have changed my way of thinking. On the west end road I take a taxi after dark, and never go alone. With familiarity comes a false sense of security. Be smart, stay safe, never let your guard down. Just my thoughts
    Phineasfreakers....just a FYI...the random killing you're referring, has been reported as NOT random...senseless yes, random no.

Having said that...information provided already is great. After dark is never easy anywhere and should be treated with caution.
    After living in Jamaica for the last 10 years & the West End for almost 5 years...you do learn most events are truly not random here. As JoJo suggested...rumours especially in Negril can be INSANE...even from seemingly credible sources...thus the reason Negril.com takes its time trying to weed through the rumours to the truth....but robberies can happen and not just by the locals...so don't ever stop being aware.

And...like everyone said...watch out for traffic day or night anyplace in Jamaica but especially in the West End...we drive on the left side as you know and the road is tight.

User Info Menu

I have many footsteps up and down the West End over the last few years and have changed how I roll over the last few trips. With the price of a taxi it makes no sense to walk it at night. My local friends do not do it, and to me that is enough of a reason to not do it myself. Why take the chance when you can spend $5 or $10 bucks and get a safe ride to where you need to go. Some places will actually give you a free ride as a service gesture, so why not take them up on it.

My first night ever on island I took my wife to the Seastar Saturday night show. After we got our fill I told her to follow me and we headed down the lane and hung a left at the main road with LTU in sight. She was tripping and only followed me because she was afraid to turn back alone. We made it there, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and caught a taxi back to the beach where we were staying. In hindsight, I am grateful that all worked out, like it normally would for most peeps. I only knew to take the route after reading numerous post on this site, indulging in the map put together by frequent travelers, and a little liquid courage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    Some places will actually give you a free ride as a service gesture, so why not take them up on it.
    Great point on the free restaurant pick-ups. We once took advantage of the free ride to Tensing Pen, when we were staying at Sea Grape Villas. Seems silly to drive such a short distance, but the driver will gladly come out for a couple hundred $J tip. Plus, it's nice to get chauffeured to dinner when you are eating at one of the nicer places.

User Info Menu

well mi live on the West End.....and like anywhere you use your common sense....
    walking around drunk or high or both never a good idea no matter where you are.....
    use the same cautions as you do in N America and you will be fine......

though mi seem to be more cautious than ever these days.....
    maybe cause of the bad publicity or a few of the things that have happened in Negril.....
    or maybe it my age now......dunno

there is a safety issue regarding walking and riding a bicycle on the West End Road.....
    cause the road isn't wide nor are there any sidewalks on the West End Road....
    I personally don't ride my bicycle at all after dark.....that is asking for it......
    walking up and down lanes of course you are usually okay.....just watch out for the main roads

someday we will have sidewalks on the West End....
    but probably not till there is bypass or sumthin else done
    owners all have there fences and walls right up against the West End Rd so sumthin has to be done...

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

havent been there for a couple years due to that dreaded work word. Hoping to actually get there Wed this week for a week. Still sorting out details. All that said - stayed up on the cliffs many times - Seastar once but usually Catcha Gardens. I NEVER felt unsafe up there day or night - except for the traffic. Short walks at night - sure. Else I'd cab it. Haven't been on the board in a while. Disappointing to hear that the cliffs are having problems. Please disabuse me of this!!

User Info Menu

Would you walk down the alley in Miami at night? Common sense is all you need as Marko suggests. If you're careless you can get into trouble anywhere, not just Negril. last year had dinner with a couple of 20 something newly weds backpacking the entire island and sleeping where ever they could, mostly outside. I thought they were nuts, but they said the only time Jamaican came to see them in the dark was to bring them food or water cause they were outside. They were having the time of their young lives. Envied them after they left.

User Info Menu

I've been going to Negril for close to 15 years. I always walk on the beach at night ranging from the White Sands area to Bourbon Beach. I have never had a problem. If I am missing something regarding safety, please let me know. To me, it always seemed more dangerous to cross the street to get to the sidewalk as I could never quite get adjusted to looking right first instead of left.

User Info Menu

Yes....use caution people and Common Sense. When we walk at night on the west end...which is quite often, I try to where light colored clothing and always have a small flashlight attached to my belt loop. Look around and be aware of your surroundings. Always step off to the side on the extremely narrow spots and check to see if any crazy drivers are coming. If we don't want to take a chance on walking, we grab a cab.....and if you have to...just call Rob or Lisa to come pick you up...LOL. Miss you guys....xo K&K

User Info Menu

I recommend that you skip the walk. Roll the window down in your taxi and pay the driver a tad more to take it slow. No need to worry!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.