Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time security

User Info Menu

Night time security

Was there in January for a week and never felt in danger or anything to be worried about. We would walk along West end Rd(very carefully) to de bar, mi yard, 3 dives, canoe, quality's, etc from our friends place behind Ras Rodys. We would even turn off at Ras Rodys and walk back inland to where we were staying and even through a little alley to Seastar. Had an amazing time and can't wait to go back. However now I am ready post of people recommending not to walk the west end/cliffs after sunset, don't walk the beach after sunset, etc. I don't recall having any issues not do I recall being in the minority as a ton of others were doing this as well. Can someone shed a little light on this? I am beginning to think I rolled the dice and came out lucky with no issues.
    Hope To See You Pon da Rock!!

User Info Menu

Re: Night time security

Much of the concern about walking the West End Rd at night, has to do with traffic safety. After dark, it is more difficult for a car to see you and this can be dangerous in areas with no shoulder or sidewalk to walk on. That said, I personally do walk the West End at night, but only short distances I am comfortable with (like Home Sweet Home to Jenny's or Mirage to Shark's). Anything more than a 5 minute walk, I usually take a taxi.
    Last edited by Mike_D; 04-05-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: forgot to say "minute"

User Info Menu

Agree with Mike for the most part. After going there a couple dozen times I feel safe 99.9% of the time. I always believe I can handle any situation that comes up. However after the senseless random killing of a tourist on the road near La Kaisers last May I have changed my way of thinking. On the west end road I take a taxi after dark, and never go alone. With familiarity comes a false sense of security. Be smart, stay safe, never let your guard down. Just my thoughts

User Info Menu

There are many places along the beach where there is not much for lighting. If you are walking a long distance, in the dark, along the beach, you are rolling the dice in my opinion. Many tourists drink or smoke too much, wear their fancy jewelry and are looking down using their phones....just be smart.

User Info Menu

Crime has escalated up in the cliffs area, no way would I walk around after dark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Crime has escalated up in the cliffs area, no way would I walk around after dark.
    When you are referring to crime, in which way....are we talking violent crime, or petty theft???

User Info Menu

Thanks a ton everyone. That's sorta what I thought. At night I am always super careful walking a short distance but anything to far and a quick taxi works. I feel that confident feeling of not being afraid, or feeling in danger there and get what you mean by don't let your guard down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Crime has escalated up in the cliffs area...
    Examples? I honestly haven't heard much lately.

User Info Menu

I know people , personally that live up on the West End, some part time, some all year around. I know plenty , but I respect this board ,that it is not a rumour mill,
    and does not appreciate hear say, so, I will stand by my comment... no way would I ever walk up around there after dark. That's just me !

User Info Menu

I am with you jojo p!
    My decision is always a taxi when going up into the cliffs and coming back...I don't even like to sit in the front coming back down that road....too narrow and winding!
    We generally stay on the beach and have walked the side walk at night and that traffic can be crazy!!!