Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Native Fruit

User Info Menu

Native Fruit

When the van comes by on Wednesday bearing fruit and vegies, which is actually grown on the island and what is shipped in and resold by the vendor?
    Legends BananaShout HardingHall Xtabi NBCC RondellVillage

User Info Menu

I was told that Jamaica is the supplier of fruit and distributes throughout the Carribean. The pineapples are amazing! sorry couldnt really answer your question, but I'm feelin chatty!
    Last edited by Lapurr; 10-25-2011 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

If it's a fruit that you don't see in N. America, with the exception of Mangoes, bananas, avocado, oranges & pineapple, then it's grown in Ja. (but the fruits I mentioned ARE grown in Ja.) As far as veg., I'm never that sure....sometimes I will ask the vendor, especially about potatoes, because I know some are imported....think most garlic is from China....things like pop chow, callalloo, cabbage, carrots, most but not ALL onions, thyme, scallions, beets, most ginger, string beans, some toatoes, some sweet peppers, all scotch bonnets are grown in Ja.

The only fruit that I know to be imported is American apples!

User Info Menu

If you compare the flavor of Jamaican bananas to what sells in N. America, you will see a HUGE difference....they are just BURSTING with flavor!

User Info Menu

ohhhhh... especially the honey banana's ! I think that's what they are called (the little mini ones)

User Info Menu

In the "van"? Like the veg truck/van that stops at various hotels, restaurants and yards? I know my veg guy doesn't sell any imports - all fresh from the farms in St. Elizabeth.

I know North American apples are not native to Jamaica - they are imported and when I'm on-island pretty spendy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lapurr View Post
    ohhhhh... especially the honey banana's ! I think that's what they are called (the little mini ones)
    They are called "bumpy"
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks Cap

User Info Menu

I know of the bumpies. I purchase them in various stages of readiness since they ripen quickly. I was fairly certain that it was local, but was suspicious of the tomatoes last year. I travel with an electric skillet and prepare one meal a day to help with the $$$. Knowing for sure things are local will assist me in giving/receiving a fair price with all going away happy.
    Legends BananaShout HardingHall Xtabi NBCC RondellVillage