Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Airlines

User Info Menu

Cool Spirit Airlines

Good Morning,

Okay, so I've had a last minute thought about taking a "ME" trip to Negril for a couple of days and notice Spirit Airlines has a few affordable prices for the end of this month flying out of Atlanta. The Wednesday following Memorial Day. I haven't ever experienced travels on Spirit Airlines and was wondering if I could get some insight about traveling with Spirit. I will make the final decision but thought you all would be helpful along the way. Thanks in advance.

Keep smiling,
    TG

User Info Menu

Re: Spirit Airlines

I know when we took them they nickel and dimed us to death. Glad we now have Southwest as an option out of Nashville. I would maybe use them again with just a carryon.

User Info Menu

Tranquilitygurl,

I tried Spirit once, they lured me in with what I thought was a low price! Subsequently as never2many has stated, they nickle and dime you to death. All that aside, the one issue that most annoyed me was that their seats do not tilt back. For me to travel an extend period with out being able to recline was very uncomfortable.

If you decide to go with Spirit, print your boarding pass before you leave for the airport. They charge you for each carry on, yes let me repeat, they charge you for each carry on. Checked luggage was a lessor charge. If you forget to reserve your checked or carry on luggage in advance, you pay extra at the airport! And on and on it goes.

Spirit fooled my once, but never again.

VVHT

User Info Menu

Other than their a-la-cart price structure (which people should understand before buying), the big issue with Spirit is that they don't have reciprocity agreements with other airlines. That means if a flight gets bumped, or you get bumped off a flight, you're stuck until the next available Spririt flight. They are not obligated to book you on another airline. So, if flying Spirit, you want to make sure you're flying out of their hub airports, otherwise it can get ugly.

User Info Menu

What TAH mentions is on point. Spirit tried to leave me stranded in Jamaica (I know paradise but....) with no mention of putting me up in a hotel, no food voucher no nothing. Just a simple please come back in three days....wait WHAT??!!! If I had not acted a complete fool that is all I would have gotten. And customer service is a complete joke.

User Info Menu

Same issues with Frontier

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    Same issues with Frontier
    This is true... to an extent. We flew Frontier from Philly to MBJ last year. Once I took the time the understand their a-la-cart price structure, I found them to be affordable (much cheaper than AA), customer service was good and the flight service was good. The plane did have cloth-covered plastic seats, with poor pitch - but I didn't really mind for the 3.5 hour flight.

As others said, the big problem with Spirit, is their crappy customer service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    This is true... to an extent. We flew Frontier from Philly to MBJ last year. Once I took the time the understand their a-la-cart price structure, I found them to be affordable (much cheaper than AA), customer service was good and the flight service was good. The plane did have cloth-covered plastic seats, with poor pitch - but I didn't really mind for the 3.5 hour flight.

As others said, the big problem with Spirit, is their crappy customer service.
    I think I will remain true to self...vacation is about "no worries" so I will continue to fly with major airlines. Thanks to all.

User Info Menu

Ultra low cost carriers such as Spirit and Frontier could care less about your experience, it is all about low price. Pay the extra few bucks and book a legacy carrier if you want to feel a little appreciated or better yet accommodated if something goes wrong.

User Info Menu

As has been been discussed..by the time they nickel and dime you..if you are saving only 50-100$ and flying an airline with horrible flight times and customer service..it isn't worth the agony of losing a day or two of vacation because they can't get you there promptly..Spirit flies out of Minneapolis to MBJ..you leave at 12:30 in morning..fly to Fort Lauderdale..get there at 4 am..sit there until about noon..then fly to MBJ..no thanks..