Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best use of charitable dollars??

User Info Menu

Best use of charitable dollars??

Like many of us, I find it hard to ignore the poverty surrounding me in Negril, especially while I'm on an expensive vacation. I usually bring soccer balls, school supplies, etc, but I would like to do something more this year. We are coming down in August with at least 6, all of whom have promised to commit $100 or more to give to a worthy cause. I was hoping to get some input from you kind folks that know much more about the local scene than I do. I'd love to hear any ideas y'all have. Whether it goes to a family that has fallen on hard times, pays for a child's schooling, or goes to a local charity is not too important, I would just like the money to go where it will be needed the most. Thanks in advance!!

User Info Menu

Re: Best use of charitable dollars??

I think St. Anthony's kitchen would be a great choice

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

We have given money in the past to St Anthony's kitchen. We have also brought toys, school supplies, backpacks, etc to Negril to pass out on the pub crawl. But our favorite is bringing musical instruments for the kids. Lenbert and I agree that kids that have an interest in music are more focused and do better in school. Last November we brought 51 instruments to Negril because we love Jamaica and the people that live there. We want the children to have as many advantages as they can get.

We will be bringing more instruments in November. We hope others will help with our efforts.

Glad to see other Tennesseans going to Jamaica.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Any animal lovers in the group? Spay and neuter clinics could use some funding. If interested, reach out to Debbie Lightheart as she is ground central for all things animals in Negril. Leashes and collars are well received, but cash is king and the doctors who donate their time need help with supplies.

User Info Menu

knowledge is power

User Info Menu

I second St Anthony's kitchen....Contact Father Jim Bok jimbok@franciscan.org and volunteer to serve lunch too!!

User Info Menu

Thank you all!! I'll do some research....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oh I'm still planning on bringing as much as I can carry. So far I have a trumpet, guitar, and set of harmonicas.

User Info Menu

Stop passing stuff out on the bar crawls. It's not helping.