Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing First Visit to Portland

User Info Menu

Re: Amazing First Visit to Portland

Needed this today...thanks!

User Info Menu

You're welcome sammyb!

I hope to write more soon...

User Info Menu

agregory to the rescue!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Tommy, our awesome driver, was great at knowing the weather in each area of Portland every day. He helped us decide each morning what we should do or where we should go based on the weather as it could be quite different from one area to the next. One of the must-dos for this trip was rafting on the Rio Grande River. The weather on our second day was perfect for this, so we packed up and Tommy took us to the river!

The drive was beautiful!
    Name:  DSC05747.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  DSC05749.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  95.3 KB

I completely forgot to get a picture of us on the raft together, except for this one –
    Name:  DSC05766.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  98.7 KB

The raft trip was amazing! These photos will not do justice at all to the beauty. We did not see a single other boat, car, house, power line, or anything man-made on the entire trip down the river. There were two other bamboo rafts at Belinda’s cook shop on the river bank, where we stopped for lunch and a couple Red Stripes mid-trip. We saw one man fishing on the side of the river during our float and I guess we also saw a few banana trees with blue bags on the hanging fruit. And I also must note that I did not see a single piece of garbage along our route. The water was clear and perfect for swimming and wading around in mid-trip Like I said, it was amazing!
    Name:  DSC05760.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  95.4 KB
    Name:  DSC05781.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  97.4 KB
    Name:  DSC05788.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  98.0 KB

The food was delicious and Belinda is a sweet lady to chat with.
    Name:  DSC05809.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  98.4 KB

Our guide was great and it was interesting chatting with him about growing up and learning to do what he does. He has a tough job. We had a discussion about the fact that it's difficult to find young people to do hard work these days (I sound so old here, but I'm really only 40!). My husband is a residential master electrician and we own our own company. He lost a young, hard working, smart guy into the Navy and hasn't found anyone worth replacing him with in the past 1.5 years. Hard work is not something that young people are made to do anymore, and they won't do it unless it's instantly gratifying to them. Or they can work really hard, but have no common sense. I know this is a very general statement and it's not true for all youngsters. But someday we will not have anyone to do these tough jobs and where will we be then? OK, I won't bore you anymore with my "rant" - lol.

The ride was very smooth This was one of my favorite excursions I’ve ever been on!
    Name:  DSC05820.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  97.5 KB

After about 2-3 hours on the river, Tommy met us at a spot along the riverbank and we returned back to our villa. Time to hit Winnifred Beach again
    Name:  DSC05837.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  99.0 KB

A spear fisherman swam in with his catch as we lounged.
    Name:  DSC05839.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  94.7 KB

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone for following along! This trip report is taking forever and I'm only through day 2. 6 more days to go!

User Info Menu

Pictures keep getting better and better!! Drooling!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Great report and pictures,thanks for sharing!!

User Info Menu

Nothing but sweet niceness here mi girl. LOVE this post and the pictures are excellent. Darlin you have me putting the rafting trip back on my summer reach agenda. Yeah, I think I want to take that scenic, soul satisfying drift again and of course visit with Belinda. What did you order?

Beautiful shot of the fisherman…hard work dat…

Your entry about the young not giving more energy than they need to is true for most of them. I’ve been working two jobs for years and the young ones I talk to said they would first live with family, friends or foes before they would work two jobs or even ONE full time job. The major reason for terminations at the PT job is excessive call-offs. Dem nuh want fe work fe a nanny. I go out of my way to commend the ones who stick it out and sacrifice their Saturday nights.

More please ms. agregory…you doing great with the report.

User Info Menu

clap clap clap

User Info Menu

Catching up as we are 6 sleeps away, this was magnificent! Cannot wait to get back to Portie!! I'm also putting the drift down Rio Grande back on the list this year, love both the quietness of the ride and that great meal with Belinda! Thanks for the pics!