Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the most scenic spot left on the old road...

Administrator

User Info Menu

For the most scenic spot left on the old road...

Please click on the link below! You will not be disappointed!

http://negril.com/nt/nt052017.htm
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: For the most scenic spot left on the old road...

Oh I remember that old road well. It truly was the beginning of the Negril adventure in the '70's

User Info Menu

Memories of coming round the curve and being upon "Ganja" Bridge

User Info Menu

I'll never forget the first time across the Ganga Bridge! The bus slows down and vendors start thrusting huge buds through the windows!!

User Info Menu

Rob, great picture of the "Old Road" although I can't remember exactly where that spot is and I have never heard it referred to as "Ganja Bridge" I think it might have been a location used in the Bond movie "Live and Let Die" filmed in many parts of JA. I guess the crocodile factory scene was shot at Ross Kananga's Jamaica Swamp Safari in Falmouth but there were numerous "Shoots" shot on the "Old Road" from MoBay to Negril specifically the double decker bus chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuDAx4Yndv0

You probably know the facts better than I do but in any case the "Old Road" was / is very cool!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Johng,

It is located in Cousins Cove. I never referred to it as ganja bridge, because it is not the ganja bridge.

And as for the old road being "very cool", it would take many hours, heck, sometimes overnight just to reach Negril. Sometimes the road fell away into the sea and there was no road at all. Nothing "cool" about that.

In that Cousins Cove area, there are still a few guest houses seldom used anymore. Pet and I talked about them. When the old road was bad, the houses were filled with guests trying to get to Negril.

Those old "I survived the road to Negril" shirts actually made sense back in the day. Interesting road yes, but "cool" doesn't come to my mind... (grin)

Live and let die!

User Info Menu

In the early to mid 70's when I would travel back to the US occasionally the only way to go was the Sav - Whitorn - Anchovy rd.

It was rough but dependable!

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Rob
    where was the ganja bridge

Administrator

User Info Menu

It was in the long distant past... (grin)

User Info Menu

Rob,

I respect your opinion about the "Old Road" but for me that ride was always cool!! Back in 75 and in subsequent trips to Negril, for me it wasn't only about the destination but the "Journey" getting there.

I understand the problems that occurred and the resultant delays on the road but coming off the plane and going past and through the scenery, the smells, the colors to me was very cool!! Perhaps over the years living there you have lost the appreciation of that but traveling the "Old Road" was something that I really looked forward to each trip and I have run the gamut from private taxi, overfull mini buses, Big Buses, flatbed trucks, and walking many miles of it too at 3:00 in the morning coming back from Reggae Sunsplash for example.

Obviously the "New Road" was / is necessary to handle the amount of traffic that now exists but I loved the journey (both directions) that was the "Old Road"!!