Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On a serious note, with the talk of taxi pricing...

User Info Menu

Re: On a serious note, with the talk of taxi pricing...

I think there are two issues here. First, "If we get into an accident, am I not covered?" Like Cap said, "you would have to prove a relationship to be covered". Being covered would probably not happen if you were not related as insurance companies look for any loophole not to cover. You're being a visitor would probably disqualify you immediately.

Secondly, I travel frequently in white plated cars where I live in the interior but I do it at my own risk. There are few Red Plates in rural Jamaica especially in sparsely populated areas. A lot of the time I am not paying taxi fares either. If someone is going to Santa (the town near where I live), I tag along and chip in for the petrol. I am under no illusions that I am safe but my friends do drive cautiously or I don't ride with them.

As Rob says, "Use a Red Plate Taxi". It is the best policy. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere around where I live if I had to always use one, however.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

To add to Cap's comments, proving that relationship is not easy. If your friend is a known taxi operator, your chance is next to zero. If they are a bank manager with no history of acting as a taxi, your chance is much better. But if there is any hint of money transactions, even in the past, your chance can quickly go back to zero...

A taxi driver friend of mine was recently driving a visitor in his personal car (white plate), not his taxi. He was doing it for free because they were both heading to HiLo. My friend heard him talking with a mutual acquaintance about HiLo so he offered to give him a lift. They got stopped and his vehicle was seized and that free ride ended up costing my friend about j$60,000...

There was no way for either of them to prove no money changed hands, and it would an illegal taxi to boot.

When traveling in someone's personal car and you are a visitor, there can be consequences for you and the driver.

Please use legal red plated transportation for everyone's sake.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    When traveling in someone's personal car and you are a visitor, there can be consequences for you and the driver.
    Wow…I really needed to read this. I ride with friends, not all the time but a lot. Confirming they have active insurance was my only priority. But now I’m learning even with insurance, should there be an accident not only will I be denied compensation, but the owner/driver could also be denied or penalized because I (visitor) was in the car.

"Proof of relationship". I’m sure this is true and I'm not questioning anyone who made this statement; however are the owners aware of these conditions?? Is it written in the policies? I’m asking because a friend just informed me he’s surrendering his red plates but I can ride with him still because he’ll have white plates. Now I’m not so excited about the change.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Vi,

I'm glad you are now aware. If you are in vehicle that is driven by a taxi driver or former taxi driver, proof of relationship is a real thing and something nearly impossible to prove. As Accompong stated, insurance companies have lawyers sitting around finding any loophole they can to deny coverage. And something not mentioned, should you be in an accident and something or someone else is injured by an illegal taxi, you can also be held responsible for the damages. That has always been the case, the new law will only strengthen ​that issue.

Your friend knows the laws, for taxi or former taxi drivers, this is Driving 101. You can never become a taxi driver and not know this. Your friend's insurance policy is in the car. Read it. For private driver's its a one page document that specifically states that there is no coverage if the vehicle has paying passengers (livery) or the vehicle is being rented out. Those policies cost a lot more.

For regular, non taxi operating private drivers, this is not an issue. If a hotel manager, bank rep or shop owner stops to offer you a ride in the rain, A FREE RIDE, then all coverage applies. The local police know who is who and know to the best of their ability when a visitor is being helped for free by a private driver. I give my local neighbors a ride and even visitors from time to time, but I have never once charged anyone a taxi fee. The local police know this.

But with your friend's recent decision to give up the red plate, they will be targeted. Just ask my friend who got busted for actually offering a free ride. His position was indefensible even though he seriously wasn't charging. He is known as a taxi operator.

What proof could you give the officer that you didn't pay and never paid for your friend's services?

That is the question you have to ask yourself...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sorry to be so "wordie", but I used to work with insurance companies and this is an issue I take seriously after reading all their fine print... (grin)

User Info Menu

Sorry to be so "wordie", but I used to work with insurance companies and this is an issue I take seriously after reading all their fine print... (grin)
    Knowledge is power....... Ya'll

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 06-02-2017 at 06:15 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Interesting discussion. I was aware of most of it, but appreciate the detailed info.

User Info Menu

Vi,

I'm glad you are now aware. If you are in vehicle that is driven by a taxi driver or former taxi driver, proof of relationship is a real thing and something nearly impossible to prove. As Accompong stated, insurance companies have lawyers sitting around finding any loophole they can to deny coverage. And something not mentioned, should you be in an accident and something or someone else is injured by an illegal taxi, you can also be held responsible for the damages. That has always been the case, the new law will only strengthen ​that issue.

Your friend knows the laws, for taxi or former taxi drivers, this is Driving 101. You can never become a taxi driver and not know this. Your friend's insurance policy is in the car. Read it. For private driver's its a one page document that specifically states that there is no coverage if the vehicle has paying passengers (livery) or the vehicle is being rented out. Those policies cost a lot more.

For regular, non taxi operating private drivers, this is not an issue. If a hotel manager, bank rep or shop owner stops to offer you a ride in the rain, A FREE RIDE, then all coverage applies. The local police know who is who and know to the best of their ability when a visitor is being helped for free by a private driver. I give my local neighbors a ride and even visitors from time to time, but I have never once charged anyone a taxi fee. The local police know this.

But with your friend's recent decision to give up the red plate, they will be targeted. Just ask my friend who got busted for actually offering a free ride. His position was indefensible even though he seriously wasn't charging. He is known as a taxi operator.

What proof could you give the officer that you didn't pay and never paid for your friend's services?

That is the question you have to ask yourself...
    How frustrating as I have taken a free ride in both drivers and local business owners cars. Just to be clear, if I am in a vehicle of a local all is good as long as they are not a known driver or gypsy cab? I have zero interest in insurance as I take ownership for my actions, however I just want to make sure I do not put anyone at risk. For example, several times I have taken a ride in a hotel owners car while we go out for the night, is this an issue I need to worry about?

Administrator

User Info Menu

It should not be frustrating at all. I already covered this idea by mentioning not to worry about hotel managers.

Hotel owners have the added advantage of their hotel liability insurance to fall back on. That is in addition to their private auto insurance. No worries there.

Hotel owners are generally not known to be taxi operators. Similar to hotel managers. If the manager is not an issue, the owner would be even less of one...

You may be making it more complicated than it is. Vi was asking about a taxi driver friend who is no longer paying for a red plate. That is making them a potential illegal taxi.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Booger,

To be more specific, the driver has to have a known history of never charging for a ride.

While I give the occasional ride, I don't do it everyday. I would end up making enemies with the legal taxis. They know us equally well. They pay hefty fees for that right to transport people and deserve everything that they receive.

To make it simple, always take legal red plated vehicles.