Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lobster is all well and good...but what about the Conch?

User Info Menu

Lobster is all well and good...but what about the Conch?

We all know that lobster is out of season from April 1 to June 30th, but when is closed season for conch?

I remember the first time I found out that conch was out of season for part of the year. I walked into Jenny's/C&D restaurant and ordered a curry conch. Connie replied to me, "Mon, if I serve you a curry 'cunk' they will come in here and lock me up!" I believe this was during a trip we took during the early fall. Does anybody know the actual dates that conch is out of season? Just want to make sure that I can get my conch soup from Chicken Lavish during our trip this summer.

User Info Menu

Re: Lobster is all well and good...but what about the Conch?

There are closed seasons on lobster and conch during their reproductive cycles – August 1 to December 31 for conch, and April 1 to June 30 for lobster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta Animal View Post
    There are closed seasons on lobster and conch during their reproductive cycles – August 1 to December 31 for conch, and April 1 to June 30 for lobster.
    Rasta Animal....Do you know of a recent change in dates?

I know conch season (closed season) to be from August 1 to October 30...my info is from the Fisheries dept here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Rasta Animal....Do you know of a recent change in dates?

I know conch season (closed season) to be from August 1 to October 30...my info is from the Fisheries dept here.
    As a New Englander who spends a ton of time on the Maine coast, I never bother with what they call lobster in the Caribbean, but I do look forward to conch!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Solo,

What is called lobster in the Caribbean are the lobster species known as the​ spiny lobster. They are as much a lobster as their northern counterparts.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Solo,

What is called lobster in the Caribbean are the lobster species known as the​ spiny lobster. They are as much a lobster as their northern counterparts.
    I did read a review years ago of a restaurant located on the Negril beach...the reviewer accused the chef of stealing the claws from their lobsters. It gave me a good giggle...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Solo,

Agreed, they are lobsters, but I don't think they taste as good as their northern counterparts. Not even close! Most everything else is better in Negril, but not the Lobster, IMHO.,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoloTraveller View Post
    Agreed, they are lobsters, but I don't think they taste as good as their northern counterparts. Not even close! Most everything else is better in Negril, but not the Lobster, IMHO.,
    Everything ! , taste better in Negril !

User Info Menu

The "lobster"in Jamaica is langusta or spiny lobster.

The cold water lobster is totally different. Big claws, no spines

They're both crustaceans (pronounced bugs)

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thanks Rasta Animal and Lisa. As long as closed conch season starts on August 1, I am good!

As far as Jamaican (spiny) lobster goes, I enjoy it for what it is. When I am in Jamiaca, I eat it because I like fresh, local foods and it tastes good. When I am in Maine/New England I enjoy the fresh cold water lobster from that region. In Philly, I rarely eat lobster because it is expensive and often frozen.
    Last edited by Mike_D; 06-06-2017 at 11:02 AM.