Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September trip - Pelican bar? Live music?

User Info Menu

September trip - Pelican bar? Live music?

We're coming to Negril the beginning of September. The only other time I've been there was in June. So I'm wondering........is this the rainy season? Is it going to be dead everywhere? I don't think we could pick a bad time to come back, and if it rains we can handle that. Wondering if we will have the beach to ourselves Hoping that there will be places open and live music. I will be checking the board prior to leaving to see if anything is going on. 92 days and counting........it's ALL I can think of.........We're staying at Grand Pineapple but really looking forward to checking some other places out. We're going to YS Falls and Black River (already booked) but I'd love to go check out Pelican Bar. Is this worth it? I wish I'd planned better and done YS falls and Pelican the same day but I think it would be too much to try to do all in one day. I've always wanted to go to Pelican bar and not sure when we'll be back........Come on boardies.....help me figure out what to do!!! What kind of cost and how long would going to just Pelican bar be? I think I've read most people only go there for a couple of hours. Is it worth the few hours in the car for this? I just don't know. maybe Calico Jacks instead? I don't want to be mad at myself for not going though.

OK, I need to focus on work for a little bit. But I need to know this - How do you get through the time leading up to a trip? I can hardly stand it. We've been to Punta Cana and Mexico for our last few trips and all the while I've been wanting to come back.....and now that we are I can't hold back my excitement!
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: September trip - Pelican bar? Live music?

Hi Sophie,

I know a lot of people tie in YS and Pelican Bar in a day trip. I think it's at least 1.5 hours each way, and if you're only going for two, you spend more time getting there than actually being there. IMO that's a no-go. If it were me, I'd probably look into making a day trip out of YS, Black River and then maybe late afternoon into sunset at Pelican Bar.

I think Drifter's still has music on Tuesdays, and at least on Sundays, possibly Fridays too, IDK.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

That's what I was thinking might have been better for me to do. I booked the YS Falls/Black River through JTL when we booked our trip. Not sure how flexible those guys are. Maybe I should have waited and booked all this when we got there. Problem with that is then we never do anything. We get too comfy lounging (nothing wrong with that) but then kick ourselves for not doing stuff. This time we didn't want to fall into that trap. Maybe 6 out of the 7 days we will do that

User Info Menu

First of all it is going to be hot hot hot !!! I myself never understood the fascination of going to the Pelican driving all that way to sit out a bit on the water, but hey, some folks love it. Because of the weathere, I would go to Ys falls, you can enjoy the ride, see some of the countryside, and stop for food and drink on the way back.

User Info Menu

Ditto Jo Jo p

User Info Menu

It will be dead. September is the slowest time of the year and there may even be some places that will be closed. You may have to wait until you arrive to find out what is going on, as there will honestly be very little. It will rain daily and it is the height of the hurricane season in September so expect storms.

Now having said that, yep, I go in September and adjust. I go anytime that I can fit it into my schedule for as long as my schedule will allow.

As far as YS, Black River, and Pelican. Have done these three in one day a few times. No problem. However, in September it will rain while you are at one of these places (or all three) so just be prepared.
    "mud cyaan seckle widout wata"...some people are essential to the wellbeing of others

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to wait and see. Either way, I can't wait to be there. Hope the rain is random showers and we still get lots of sun. The best part will be that we are there and not home. We will make the most out of it I promise
    Last edited by Sophie2012; 06-06-2017 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

We usually go in September because it's our anniversary. It won't be crowded and some places my be closed . Last year Drifter's was closed for remodeling and other places that would have live music might have a DJ. It probably will rain at some point during the day but we have been lucky not to have any hurricanes while there. We missed one by one week a couple years ago. We've been to YS falls a couple times and you will enjoy it. Been to the Pelican bar once. It seemed to be a long drive to get there and after about a hour I was ready to move on but had to wait for the boat to come pick us up.

User Info Menu

sophie2012 the term your looking for is sand gravity. It seems we all get really heavy once on the beach and it's hard to move I live in Duluth and I can tell you although it will rain it will be most refreshing. You can stand out in the hard rain and love it!! 30 minutes later you are dry and wishing it was raining again, enjoy!!

User Info Menu

Love it Irene! I can for sure handle the showers in Negril. And yes, sand gravity.....that's EXACTLY the word I was looking for.

Yeffers - we are going in September for a couple of reasons. We are celebrating our anniversary (Married in Negril 5 years ago June 21) and my 40th birthday is in August. We like to travel when it's cooler out at home but this is the longest we could wait and it's closer to what we are celebrating. I'll be fine with it. My husband turns 40 in April next year, we might have to just make another trip back then too