Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any place we can Rent Guitars?

User Info Menu

Any place we can Rent Guitars?

Hello - My friend is getting married on Dec 1st in Negril and we wanted to sing together to his wife to be a song - I'm wondering if someone would rent us 2 or 3 acoustic guitars for 2-3 days? It's probably cheaper and easier to rent them instead of bringing our own down. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

User Info Menu

I don't have a good answer to your question but would make an observation. Musical instruments (from what I have witnessed) are like Gold in Jamaica. They are prized possessions and you will be very lucky if you find someone who will let them out of their control.

In fact, many of my friends simply buy a used "knockaround" guitar to use while in Jamaica and then leave it as a gift. You might want to consider that option.

There are a lot of musicians in Negril so it may be possible to do what you are looking for. Others can speak to that. Good Luck and a great way to make a wedding day more memorable!

Peace and Guidance.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I agree with Accompong. We had a well known musician from the states staying with us last winter - he asked a mutual "friend" if he could borrow one of his acoustic guitars (he has three) and it was like he asked to borrow dude's right arm. He made due with hub's electric. Very nicely due in fact - pretty awesome to hear sweet tunes in your living room played by an awesome guitarist such as he.

I digress - if you really want to do this bring down your own instrument. Hub brings his electric down each year - no hassle at all. He carries it in a gig case, puts it in the closet up front on the airplane (it'll stow in the overhead if you can't get closet space). He has a Cube Amp that he carries on as well.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for the quick response. I guess, considering the event, I shouldn't take chances. Thx agn. Paul

User Info Menu

I don't want to speak for them, but if you are having Negril Portraits for a photographer they may let you use theirs. It might be a good trade off as they do very nice work.
    www.negrilportraits.com 876-483-2111

Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Gizzae,

We have 3 Acoustic Guitars ( Ovation, Yamaha and 1965 Gibson 12 String ).

As a matter of fact we played one of our original songs "For My True Love" at Bobs daughters wedding.

Here is a video / wedding photo sampler with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/user/negrilpo.../0/ZKOgtE98ZUs
    www.negrilportraits.com

User Info Menu

Several companies make a "travel guitar". I have taken my Martin Backpacker to Jamaica several times. It's in a gig bag and usually can go overhead on the plane. It is probably not loud enough for your needs unless it is plugged in. Taylor makes a nice sounding travel guitar called a Baby Taylor.
    Another thought is most music stores carry "starter" guitars from $60 to $120. Though they won't get the sound of your favouite ax, they are playable and would get you through the ceremony. If it gets damaged, it's not a life changing loss. Like Accompong says above, it would make a great gift to leave.
    Respect

User Info Menu

I travel with my guitar every time I go to negril. I put in a hard shell case and check it plane side. Never have a problem, I am lost with out my guitar!
    Praise Jah

User Info Menu

Bring a beater and jam mon !

Name:  jammin.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  40.1 KB

User Info Menu

Amazing what you can for the $ now

Ibanez (and probably other makers) has an entry level acoustic for about $100 USD at many music stores. I was pretty impressed with how well it played for the price and used it all during my last trip. When I left I gave it to a friend who was very happy with it. Another thing to consider - even if you could find a musician that wanted to rent you a guitar the condition of many instruments on the island not good. Some guitars never have strings changed and the bridge will be about ready to snap off the top because it just keeps getting tuned up (and up and up!). Few have decent strings, and I have seen many with deep grooves worn in the frets below the strings, bridge pins made out of scrap wood, etc. Needless to say they are not easy to play in this condition - I'm thinking you want to play well at your friend's wedding. Another option is to buy an inexpensive used guitar to bring. Good luck and have fun!