Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosmos Closing?

User Info Menu

Cosmos Closing?

Rob,

Any truth to this rumor?

User Info Menu

Re: Cosmos Closing?

I have seen numerous posts on FB groups that the owner has retired and yes they say it is closed.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

There is truth to this rumor -- they have closed. I will miss their red pea soup!

User Info Menu

Sad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMoose View Post
    I have seen numerous posts on FB groups that the owner has retired and yes they say it is closed.

~Moose
    I have seen these Facebook posts, as well. Although, I typically don't believe Facebook rumors until they are validated by another source, there is another twist to this story. According to a recent post, Cosmo sold the property to the Sandals group (who owns the adjacent Beaches resort). Their immediate plans are to keep the restaurant and property open (after some renovations) and keep Cosmo on-board as a "consultant".

Again, I don't know if any of this is true and I don't mean to feed the Negril rumor mill. I'm just relaying what some random guy posted on facebook.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Cosmo's has a sign up on the main gate that says it is temporarily closed. But Cosmo's, as it has been known for 41 years is officially closed.

Trying to prevent the social media gossip is impossible, we were making no announcements until given the go ahead, but such is modern life.

It was bittersweet to see Cosmo drive away today, leaving the restaurant and bar he has owned and operated for the last 4 decades. The red pea soup was as good the last time as it was when I first had it in the mid 80's.

But I totally understand his decision to retire as owner of one of the oldest establishments on the beach.

Heck, while it was a bittersweet feeling for me, I don't regret retiring the original Jamaican webcasts after a measly 20 years. If I make it 40 years with Negril.com, I am sure I will value that retirement!

I'm sure the rumors will keep swirling on social media, but the facts as they stand today is that Beaches, owned by the Jamaican Stewart family, now owns the property.

Any further details of what will transpire in the future are speculation at best, which means nothing factual.

We do thank Cosmo for the last 4 decades and wish him all the best! The man had a vision very few saw, and persevered. A tip of the hat Cosmo! Thanks for everything!

Name:  13317004_1150280921689714_7165857183519116875_o.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  63.6 KB
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I heard the news last month from Shirley Buchcanan who was his "manager" for many years. She's from our district and she's one of Ginny's close friend for years.

It was not my place at the time to mention it.

I kept my rental boats there from 1977 - 1979 when he first opened. Over the last few years he's slowed down quite a bit especially with his hip.

Cosmo Brown ran a tight ship and I am proud to call him a friend. Hope he enjoys his formal retirement.

Now where can I go to the beach? All those beach places are OK but Cosmo's was unique.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

True dat, Cap. I have so many memories of days spent on the beach, under the sea grape. I thought his son was going to take it over and am heart broken to hear anything different. Best wishes to Cosmo and his outstanding staff. The finest purveyor of traditional Jamaican cuisine in Negril. Much love --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

This is probably the most widely viewed picture taken at Cosmos. Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition shot in Negril .

Name:  si ja 1.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  74.4 KB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    This is probably the most widely viewed picture taken at Cosmos. Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition shot in Negril .

Name:  si ja 1.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  74.4 KB
    Great spot to do a photoshoot. Last time I walked down that way two young ladies were topless taking pictures of themselves. I was about to offer help, but felt they would have balked at the creepy ol' guy, so I carried on down towards the AI's. What year was this?