Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intro & Questions re: Staying on 7 Mile Beach (Attempting to convert from AI)

User Info Menu

Re: Intro & Questions re: Staying on 7 Mile Beach (Attempting to convert from AI)

of course we have always been partial to Rondel Village . diffenatly another property you should look into.

User Info Menu

Re: Intro & Questions re: Staying on 7 Mile Beach (Attempting to convert from AI)

Wow, thank you all for your words of wisdom! Greatly appreciated! I definitely will look harder at your suggestions here, as I have lots of time to do that. Also looks like I need to price out the beach hotels a little more carefully. I was just rolling with an average figure after looking at places on the Cliffs, and we travel during the slower season (Oct-Nov), but I should have considered that the beach resorts would be pricier (duh!). Also need to figure that they will most likely increase before we travel.

Again, THANK YOU!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Wow... 2021, huh? That's a long timeframe in a dynamic economy like Negril's. There are some constants along the beach, but there are also a lot of "here today, gone tomorrow" operations as well. Owners change, properties are abandoned (sometimes for years), others are purchased for development, business ventures fail... it happens all the time, and we can offer examples of all of those things happening in just the last two years.

We have stepped out a few times from the AI scene to extend our JA budget, and it certainly can be done. You simply have to put yourself in the mindset that you are moving from the land of "Yes!", to the world of "Where to next?".

While the beach near Swept Away is amazing, there are other places we've enjoyed staying on that end of Seven Mile that have the same vibe on the beach... Palms and Tree House come to mind, and Country Country is right there as well.

Good luck on your planning. Frankly, I would recommend that you don't reserve any portion of your non-AI itinerary until later in the planning effort.
    You are absolutely right, Chris! Nothing made that more apparent than when I was scrolling through the PDF map of Negril from 2011. SO many changes. We definitely aren't planning on booking out so early because let's face it; a lot of things could change in our OWN little world in 4 years. But part of the excitement for me is the planning....the researching....the daydreaming....etc. I want to at least have a general idea of where we might end up so I can "research" the surrounding area. I'm kind of a nerd like that, lol.

I have read great things about TreeHouse and Country Country as well - I will check them out! Thanks again for your honest opinion.

User Info Menu

Make sure you keep in mind tax and service charges, they add up quickly.

User Info Menu

Check out Charela, beach side, second floor. Private yet in the middle of the 7 mile beach stretch. Nice wide private beach.

http://negril.com/hotels/charela.htm

http://www.charela.com/

User Info Menu

We like White Sands but all recommendations above will be good. White Sands is not a fancy place but it is clean, comfortable, and always has hot running water for a good shower.

White Sands has a very nice bar on the beach. Due to mid-beach location of all recommendations above, there are many restaurants of all different kind within short walking distance (like Best of the West for bbq, Cafe Goa for breakfast, and Kuyaba for higher end dinner).

Wherever you decide to go, I would make reservations about 15 months before you want to go.

User Info Menu

agree with rooms, nirvana and idle awhile . have stayed at all 3 .
    going from sandals to csa to me though does not make a lot of sense . very similar so why make the move.

User Info Menu

You guys are fabulous! THANK YOU!

Saeydoc, great advice re: taxes, etc - always forget about that! vucko, I will give Charela another look, too, as well as White Sands, frankk! (And thank you for the tip re: when to book!)

User Info Menu

Also keep in mind food will be pricier 'pon da beach as well.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Well hello 3littlebirds. Minnesota here. All the recommendation here are spot on, I'm just a little surprised no one has mentioned the obvious, you will not be on an AI. I've been to an AI before and as much as you may love Jamaica now, if you spend 20 nights on the beach in Negril it will be your religion by the time you leave. The fresh delightful Jamaican food, the people, the fresh juice, the people, chicken from the corner bar or best in the west, the people, evening boat tours, and did I mention the lovely people? You are in for such a treat. Ask a random Jamaican to teach you how to play dominoes and you won't stop laughing (and swearing) the entire evening. We spend on average 3500 dollars for two weeks all in when we go, so your budget will allow plenty for excursions and food. You can eat well on the beach and surrounding area for $25 to $35 a day, for two! Of course you can always spend more but you sure don't have to. We as well as some others above I have stayed at the White Sands my last few reaches because the bang for your buck, location, vibe, and great beach. Have a blast!!!