Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Seaside cottage xtabi or Citronella feedback

User Info Menu

Seaside cottage xtabi or Citronella feedback

Have friends asking about xtabi. I have stayed at Citronella & loved it but since it's sale has anyone been there and feedback would be appreciated along with xtabi seaside. This will be there first trip they wanted cliffside for snorkeling.

User Info Menu

Re: Seaside cottage xtabi or Citronella feedback

If they can go for the extra cost, Catcha hands down.

User Info Menu

xtabi is okay for me for a few days. Catcha has affordable rooms, air conditioning, TV, excellent security. I would not base my stay on snorkeling in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

The best snorkeling I've seen in the area was up at Half Moon Beach. Really nice up there.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Xtabi a slam dunk...best snorkeling there too.....mi go from PeWees to Xtabi and back many mornings

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

To Miss Honey's point, until more recent times the Jamaican fisheries overfished the area and reef fish are pretty scarce. I have tried often to find reef fish but it is not like Hawaii or Costa Rica. The Jamaican government has shut down some areas west of Jamaica, I think it was Pedro Kay off of the Pedro Bank to improve the situation, but it's going to take time. Not helping the situation is the constant and escalating deterioration of the coral reefs which is a world wide issue at the moment. Xtabi has been OK, Half moon Beach too, also Point Village of all places, but I've not tried there since the construction of the new AI monster just to the points east, may have scared the fish away. In my personal opinion early morning is best, I sometimes make a couple bread balls and toss them out to attract fish, but mostly it's the luck of the draw for what you will see.

User Info Menu

Thanks Irine. I'm who she was asking about �� We've booked at Xtabi as they had the best prices for what we wanted. I'd heard that the reef fish are minimal at best and you explained why, so thanks. Still looking forward to doing nothing but lazing around in and out of the water for five days!

User Info Menu

Xtabi is beautiful and you will have a great time. You will see some reef fish snorkeling and the water is very clear. The fish are smaller and not as many as other places mentioned but the fact that you can literally jump off the cliff from your room is a huge plus! Xtabi has a great restaurant too for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Xtabi is beautiful and you will have a great time. You will see some reef fish snorkeling and the water is very clear. The fish are smaller and not as many as other places mentioned but the fact that you can literally jump off the cliff from your room is a huge plus! Xtabi has a great restaurant too for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    And even if you aren't staying there they will hold your valuables behind the bar and let you use their entry, love this place. We always have lunch and drinks when they let us use the access just to be fair, and the food is great! There are a couple small islands (more like outcroppings) that you can swim completely around if the seas are mild and we saw quite a few fish there.
    Last edited by Irine; 07-26-2017 at 10:33 AM.