Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digicel phone - Is it active in USA?

User Info Menu

Digicel phone - Is it active in USA?

If I purchase a Digicel sim card, can it be used once I return home to make a call?
    Last edited by n8urist; 10-30-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Sp

User Info Menu

Typically, no. Some ppl have reported that their Digicel phone will work in the US but it's very uncommon.

User Info Menu

I have a Motorola Rzr V3 quad band that has been unlocked. Miss Ginny uses it with a T Mobile sim card for everyday use. I can put the Digicel sim in it and see both the T Mobile and Digicel networks and can make calls but at the Digicel roaming rates which are considerably more than the rates in Jamaica.

However, I can call *120# to check my credit balance at no cost which also keeps the sim active

If I use the Digicel Coral 180 I got with the sim in Jamaica it gives an error that the network can't be found. So the upshot is that yes you can use the Digicel sim but only in an unlocked GSM 900/1800 phone. I guess you can get the code to unlock the Digicel phone from Jamaica but I don't think it's worth the effort.
    Last edited by captaind; 10-30-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I have an unlocked Razr too, but I'm wondering if I'd get connected in Milwaukee or any other northern area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by n8urist View Post
    I have an unlocked Razr too, but I'm wondering if I'd get connected in Milwaukee or any other northern area.
    I think that the T Mobile 900/1800 band allows the digicel sim to roam. Try putting the Digicel sim in the phone and see what networks it sees.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I had a unlocked iPhone 3g withal digicel sim, and it worked fine, but over 1 dollar a min( 90ja I think) but could check credit (*120#) free. Just as others reported. I believe it roamed on at&t.
    Last edited by jasperpso; 10-30-2011 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasperpso View Post
    I had a unlocked iPhone 3g withal digicel sim, and it worked fine, but over 1 dollar a min( 90ja I think) but could check credit (*120#) free. Just as others reported. I believe it roamed on at&t.
    AT & T also uses the 900/1800 band
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Well that's good news. I had a Claro card last trip, and it did nothing when I returned. At least I can keep the card active now.

User Info Menu

I bought a cheap Digicel on my last trip to Negril. Every once in a while I take it out and power up. So far all it shows is "no signal". But I'm going to keep at it. Soon come one day when my favorite cabbie (on speed dial) picks up, and we're off to the Cliffs for 3 Dives jerk.

User Info Menu

I have a LIME/old Cable and Wireless Sim and it works on T-Moble here in Chicago
    that which does not kill you makes you stronger