Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negril safety

User Info Menu

Re: Negril safety

I'm sure "safety" varies from person to person, and the area you're in. I'm sure our buddy Ukran1ans, although probably a very nice guy, may make a thief or mugger think twice, as opposed to a petite woman. The same goes for a group as opposed to a singe or couple. Although nobody is invincible, I carry a very bright flashlight and my NY attitude, and haven't felt uncomfortable yet. But then I've worked in some of the worst areas in NYC, and use common sense when moving around at night. It's all relative. When in doubt take a taxi. You'll be helping the local economy, you won't miss the $5, and you won't let something stupid ruin a great vacation
    Last edited by JohnNYC; 07-31-2017 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot to both of you for the info! Much appreciated.
    Being on my own I guess I'll take a cab all the times.

User Info Menu

Just at night, Rug. Day time you're fine.

User Info Menu

Rug, I am a "little old lady" who has been going solo to Negril forever. I go everywhere and have had little or no problems. I am always careful though and when it starts to get dark, if I am far from my hotel, I will take a taxi (someone I know). Otherwise I walk everywhere.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Last Nov there was a big police presence on the cliffs in the evenings. We were walking one even
    ing around dusk. We were stopped twice and asked if everything was OK. I don't think I will be walking that late this year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Honey View Post
    Last Nov there was a big police presence on the cliffs in the evenings. We were walking one even
    ing around dusk. We were stopped twice and asked if everything was OK. I don't think I will be walking that late this year.
    I'm confused, this seems like it might be a welcome addition, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rug_V View Post
    Hi everyone,

since we are discussing about walking the beach after dark, is there any area of the beach that has more lights compared to other areas?
    For example, how about walking from Travellers to Bourbon beach? or from Coco to Alfred's? Or from Legends to Alfred's?

I'll be in Negril for the first time in November (on my own) I just would like to understand if a 5 minutes walk is ok, or if it's always better to grab a taxi after sunset.
    Thanks!
    Hey Rug_V,

I feel the safety level on the beach at night is higher during the busy season since there are alot more tourists on the beach at night going to the various Bars/Restaurants from November to April. In May, when it was slower, as I said before, I had no problems but there are alot less people around as well (so I kept a vigilant eye out as I walked). With the new side walk on the main road, that's always a safer option to walk at night as well.

Last edited by ukran1ans; 08-02-2017 at 12:48 PM.