Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by Manda's - My Experience in Negril

User Info Menu

Ok, time spent so far: the town is not as pretty, the beach not as close, the food not as fast and as for the men, I am still praying for the next unsuspecting female. The excursions out of town were truly memorable but we still have a few days to go. I am banking a lot on the cliff experience.

Well, we got to Xtabi and the view literally took my breath away. I mean literally, I held my breath and forgot to breath. I am a cruiser at heart, and there is no greater feeling that sitting on the deck of a ship and staring at the open seas. The view and affordable drinks topped any cruise deck experience. I have seen many places but this view ranks among the best ever and all others pale in comparison. Now I want to start this whole vacation over, getting up every morning and enjoying a cup of coffee (packing my own) while enjoying the view and ending the day with a nice glass of wine watching the sunset.

We decided to do just that, start the vacation over . I might not be having the vacation I planned but something more memorable with snorkeling, cliff jumping, breathtaking views and sunsets.

User Info Menu

Hhhhmmm, "the beach not as close"? To what? Like in not visible from the road? Thank god, just imagine all the cars on Norman Manley zooming by all the while when walking Negril's beautiful seven mile beach or relaxing in its lovely tropical waters! Already nuff jet-skis over there for my taste. ;-) Guess it all depends on your perspective, preferences and/or the place you are staying at.

User Info Menu

I am enjoying the report tell us more about the cliffs.

If you are looking for food that is consistently good and the best fresh drinks I would suggest the seastar inn for one of your trips if you go back and like the cliff area.

It is set back a little bit off the main road but you will not be left waiting for your food, nor will you have to worry about cost or niceness of the food.

They have 2 bedroom apartments which are great for families and breakfast is free there too.They throw in a few extras.They have a van there for tours and all staff and owners are very respectful and kind and the owner is a black woman and a white man only he is not known as John but Chris!
    They really do have a lovely set up couple of minutes walk to Ricks cafe one way and xtabi is in the other direction.

I am trying to understand some of your comments about certain things as you said you grew up in Jamaica, did you not ever see or hear any of the things that you experienced in Negril that annoyed you before?

If not why do you think that was? nice area, family vibe? quiet or no beach?

I have faced some comments regarding some of the things you have mentioned but then a strangers comment I dislike has absolutely no impact on my holiday of a lifetime.
    Their comment means nothing when I look at the bigger picture.
    I just take the good with the bad
    To me everything is as it seems in Jamaica because I am aware of the bad side which can include violence, illegal activities of all sorts, poverty, some people may have race/class issues
    and the good side
    the people, the music, the concerts, the reggae singers, the 5* all inclusives, the lobster and champagne and helicopter rides and trips to mansions and waterfalls and being on a tropical beach with amazing sunset views sipping the best drinks being served some of the best homecooked food in the world.The morals and values and manners of most of the people one meets there.The people who can make things with their bare hands, skilled talented and wise people all with a story to tell.
    Beautiful scenic locations

If my holiday lands anywhere inbetween the good and the bad, I am happy

Seriously though if you felt there were issues with the black female white man thing and waiting for food and such
    try the seastar inn owned by a black jamaican female and white man the food is lovely and in real time and they even have a childrens menu.I have NEVER heard one complaint about the place and every time I have been or sent someone else there there is nothing but praise for how very well organised and well presented everything is.

There are farms in Negril and plantations and a waterpark and other activities your children may enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reggae_Girl98 View Post
    Hhhhmmm, "the beach not as close"? To what? Like in not visible from the road? Thank god, just imagine all the cars on Norman Manley zooming by all the while when walking Negril's beautiful seven mile beach or relaxing in its lovely tropical waters! Already nuff jet-skis over there for my taste. ;-) Guess it all depends on your perspective, preferences and/or the place you are staying at.
    Actually yes because I read oh it's an EASY 2 minutes walk. I have never been someplace where I was so unprepared for the reality, than Negril including our wonderful time on the cliffs. I never got the chance to walk the seven mile beach as I had hoped.

We stayed at Hidden Paradise and SATP. Other places we have stayed are Sunset Beach and Spa, Sunset Jamaica Grande, Couples San Souci and Beaches Boscobel. Negril was a learning experience. Since I am going back, on the cliffs, I would say nothing ventured nothing gained:-) I travel a lot so I know sometimes when you get lemons trade it for lime, grab some salt with Tequila and take some shots. We took some GREAT shots on the cliffs:-)))))))
    IREE....JAMAICAN BORN AND BRED

User Info Menu

"I am trying to understand some of your comments about certain things as you said you grew up in Jamaica, did you not ever see or hear any of the things that you experienced in Negril that annoyed you before?"

Actually No. I have heard Jamaican men blow so much hot air, I know some are responsible for global warming:-) I know the game and at my age (almost 50 less a few) I have probably written some of the plays they try to run. I was not prepared for the vibe of "hey sweet dawta since you are here you MUST WANT or NEED something" . There was an arrogance about it and a shock when the answer was no (stronger words) I never FELT the family vibe in Negril, very few families or kids even for the summer. There were tons of singles and couples. Then again I chose places that might not have been very kid friendly such as SATP and time on the cliffs.

Now we are ready to get away from the beach and explore the cliffs. The vibe was different, not many people selling anything, NO solicitation, and the guys blew the usual hot air but gave it up once they knew I am a yardie. We started the mornings snorkeling with Vincent. We had snorkeled in Montego Bay and chose the resort for this reason. Now, came talk of cliff jumping. I am starting to scream, no one is jumping and ruin these few days for me. I am out voted and everyone decided to go jumping. Andrew, demonstrated the right techniques and before long hubby jumped followed by my son and my daughter. Mi can’t swim, mi nah jump. Next we went to explore the cave at the base of the cliff, pretty cool. My kids at 9 and 12 at the time, preferred the cliffs. The question, why didn’t we stay here all the time. Well dears, ‘they’ say the beach was lovely and did not mention anything about much more like: the jet skis, the swearing, the loud music, the solicitation, the busy freeway to cross, and dem fellas. Now leave me alone, you got a few days of ‘paradise’….LOL!

Since we are hanging out at Xtabi we bought a few drinks , tipped nicely but headed a few doors down to Just Natural. The people there reminded of the Jamaica I grew up in. They were GENUINELY friendly. My son was getting grumpy before the food was ready and they offered him a snack form the cupboard or something. Eating out in on the garden patio made the whole experience special. We did this for the last few day and before long the beach was a distant memory. On our way out we stopped by for one last look at the cliffs. I knew Negril was one place I may never return to and would simple enjoy pictures of the cliffs from others.

No, not what it seems. Coming from the west coast as a family, visiting the north coast plus Negril can be very, very expensive and tiring. Our budget does not allow for a repeat vacation above a certain cost. My poor kids have decided they needed a break from summer vacations and asked not to next summer. We are planning a few days at Catcha, Haaa that view!

My take on Negril, IMOP, many (not all) go to enjoy the beach, sun and get a nice tan. If I get any darker there is no chance for anyone to see me in the dark, say cheese. Clearly it will appeal to us differently but the pics capture some of the beauty why we all go to Jamaica. I am happy for those who got the chance to walk the beach undisturbed.

I am bellying aching about a vacation while planning the next. I am blessed and THIS IS WHAT IT SEEMS!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Dawta View Post
    I have never been someplace where I was so unprepared for the reality, than Negril including our wonderful time on the cliffs. I never got the chance to walk the seven mile beach as I had hoped.
    Sweet Dawta,

I am glad you have decided to join this message board forum. This issue is essentially why I created Negril.com over 15 years ago. Everyone deserves to have the best vacation possible. With the helpful information that is available here from our nearly 3000 members, you will be able to get some great advice for your upcoming trip.

It is unfortunate that you joined only after your first visit to Negril, because the folks here would have been able to help you better prepare and know what to expect. The Sunset At The Palms Resort is not even located on the main beach, which is commonly referred to as the "7 mile beach", so suggestions would have been offered as to other places to stay so you would walk the famous 7 mile beach. Also, you would have been made aware that during the time you were visiting Negril was not during busy season, and there would be fewer families and more singles and couples around, especially at a property like SATP as opposed to some place like Beaches, which was designed with families in mind.

The Negril cliff area also referred to as the West End has a saying that goes "The West End is the Best End" and this is true for many visitors to Negril. This area has always been more laid back with a friendlier vibe - being less crowded with smaller businesses than the main beach area. Many posters with families do find this part of Negril more to their liking although most would suggest not walking too far on the West End Road (One Love Drive).

The advances by the beach "boys" is a well discussed topic on this board. This is not a new aspect to Negril, on my first visit back in 1985, my wife at the time was approached even with me within earshot. There is even a film made back in 1976 that touches on this topic in Jamaica, the movie is called Smile Orange. It may shed some insight for you on this age old subject.

Being a returning Jamaican on holiday does put you in a slightly different position than the majority of our members, but you have more shared experiences than differences. Once again, I am glad you have joined the board and hope that you take advantage of the wealth of useful information that can be provided by our posting members!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob, I watched "Smile Orange", but I also recently watched a movie called "Heading South" set in Haiti in the 80's, it also shows the
    relationship with (some) tourists and the (some) locals as well with similar goings-on that happen in Jamaica. It reminded me of Jamaica and it was actually a pretty good movie.

Here's the movie trailer. It's on Netflix if anyone wanted to watch it.

The Beach "boy" or "gigolo" phenomenon is not strictly a Jamaican thing Sweet Dawta, it happens all over the world. If you've traveled to other places like I'm sure you've have,
    you would know that.
    Last edited by sandy-girl; 11-01-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: video

User Info Menu

All I can say is the playgirls/playboys are there the world over and for people who think the 5* hotels do not have them ,
    at most touristy places in the world think again!
    The only difference will be their approach may be smoother or their uniform maybe smarter! It is there and I do not know their reasons for doing what they do so I just go about my holiday and leave them to it.

User Info Menu

In one or two countries I have been tourists have thought my partner was a beachboy! One fairly old big fat white lady even must have thought it would be ok to share LOL
    Holding out her sunscreen to her gigantic naked @@@@ does not ruin my holiday though makes for interesting conversation at the bar later! and of course the Ja men think no-one is supercharged like they

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandy-girl View Post
    The Beach "boy" or "gigolo" phenomenon is not strictly a Jamaican thing Sweet Dawta, it happens all over the world. If you've traveled to other places like I'm sure you've had, you would know that.
    Yes, I have. In the past 6 yrs I have been to Jamaica (2x), Mexico (6x), Canada (1x), 3.5 weeks in Europe this summer (Austria, Denmark, Italy, Spain), several trips across the US by plane, train and auto including Alaska. I have planned and was well prepared for all these EXCEPT Negril, even the pickpocket in Barcelona. If what I experienced is a Beach 'boy' gigolo phenomenon, that I am better off staying away from ALL beaches especially with kids. You are right, I should have known, especially since I took my kids

What makes Jamaica unlike anywhere else for ME, there is always something worth returning for. It's more than just one beach, one waterfall, one style of resort, and one vibe. It not a see one, see it all type destination.