Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by Manda's - My Experience in Negril

User Info Menu

Inspired by Manda's - My Experience in Negril

Background information:- I was born and raised in Jamaica but migrated as a teen over 30 years ago. Initially I returned to the island often to visit family but most have since migrated to Canada. Yep, majority of my family is spread around Canada, not in Jamaica as many thought because of my many trips back. Now I return to show my own family my yaad, the beauty the island is know fo, and experience the fancy resorts I saw so many times from outside the gates. I am from the north coast, a town nested in the hillside and surrounded by green vegetation. Growing up that was considered ‘bakka bush” as in the country not town. My time is spend mostly in Ocho Rios. Discovery Bay and Runaway Bay. Next I will return to Port Antonio, Ocho Rios and Negril.

I read a lot about Negril but once on the island was often told, cho nuh badda waste yuh time, nutting nuh di deh (don’t waste your time, nothing is not there). I kept reading about Negril and finally decided to do a three weeks island trip starting in Montego Bay, Negril, and of course the north coast. So flew into Montego Bay and being from the west cost stared our recovery at the Sunset Beach and Spa. This is a kiddie friendly and family resort, less the nude and topless beach. You wouldn’t expect that. After a few days we deiced to move onto Negril, the place I have read so much about.

Negril - from what I read I was expected to be greeted by this lovely stretch of beach. Kind of what you see when driving in Discovery Bay. We entered Norma Manly Blvd, no beach. Where is the beach? I saw places that looked like they could use a good coat of paint but no beach. Where is the darn beach?. The driver explained you have to get over there and walk pass this, that and the other. Ok, I will see the beach later. I did not know the beach was PUBLIC ACCESS. I am expecting to enjoy some quiet, undisturbed moments once I locate the beach. I finally got on the beach and was greeted by two guys going at it with all the BCs Jamaica is known for.

Anyway spent most of the day looking around and things to do, stores to explore like in Ochee. Oh no, not much. We were hungry and need food. I don’t like jerk chicken, never had it outside the tourist areas. I prefer hot sauce on my chicken. I prefer coco bread and meat loaf (not the American kind) to beef patties. We finally found some place to eat but things were laid back, they forgot we were there because we were hungry. We got severed had the things we ordered.

We spent time doing A/I and room oly

Ok, the town was not as pretty as I though, the beach was not as close as I thought and food was not as quick as I thought. This is day 1 and things can only get better, right?

Here is my Negril album:http://travel.webshots.com/album/579789397VGJaAM
    Last edited by Sweet_Dawta; 10-30-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    IREE....JAMAICAN BORN AND BRED

User Info Menu

Okay, I want to know more, and love your pics!

User Info Menu

So did you love it or hate it?
    was everything as you thought it would be (or seems ) sorry could not resist

User Info Menu

Great start looking forward to reading more Beautiful pics as well

User Info Menu

Anxious to hear more! Nice pictures fi sure!!!

User Info Menu

It was definitely what is seems just not what I expected. I will share my Ocho Rios and Montego Bay album.

So I found the beach, less the 2 guys, it was as long and lovely as I read. Now, where can I find a large cup of coffee. I amthe ONLY true coffee drinker in my entire family (Jamaican side) and the only female who enjoys a nice bottle, opps I mean glass of wine. We got settle in with the kids and waited for my cousins who were arriving later from Canada. Outside the walls of an A/I, Jamaica is one of the few places I have problems finding a large cup of coffee or ever drank instant. I am up at 6 and in search of a cup of coffee. Spending time in Ocho Rios, with a lot of hustle and bustle, Negril was very, very quiet. . Basically nowhere was open to get a cup of coffee. Who is on vacation here, I am up they are not Since breakfast came with our reservation I figured, coffee will be served at 7:30 as stated. Stupid me, 7:30 American time is roughly 9 ish Jamaican time(generalization here) . So 8 ish the cook staff showed up to START cooking. I have food issues on vacation, I like it fast. This is probably the major reason for my A/I stays along with a nice glass of wine at dinner. We finished breakfast about 10 ish. Rest time is wasted time for me on vacation

We decided to head to the pool but this is what it seems, it was half filled and not ready to use. Yes, we are pool people and personally I hate sand and don’t need the sun. We headed back to beach, the kids enjoyed the beach and being a non swimmer at the time watched. I learned to swim at 44. Forget about fish nah walk, me nah swim.

Now it’s time to eat and the start of where to eat and how long the wait is going to be. No time to wait, we are going to try jerk chicken. Two pieces of jerk chicken for $5US, I am thinking that is a $20 fowl and we are still going to be hungry. I don't care for jerk sauce so it was just Ok. This day I had one of the best pizza ever, ok it was about $30+US.

My first day of leisurely breakfast, kids swimming, jerk chicken and wonderful pizza, too restful for me. I don’t go on vacation to rest. I had YS Falls, Mayfield, the cliffs, a few days at an A/I and more time on the beach to look forward to. I should have skipped the BEACH and head directly to the cliff. If anyone say certain things to me before my kids or my hubby, I won't just say NO, I am going to back hand you.

Montego Bay - http://travel.webshots.com/album/579784721HCGFQd

Ocho Rios: -http://travel.webshots.com/album/579787401ACHYNy

User Info Menu

Great start and Beautiful pictures. I'm looking forward to reading more.
    I'm also curious, like Tictoc, Whether you end up loving Negril at the end or you end up not liking Negril at all. You can't really tell yet which direction this is going. I am intrigued though.
    Thanks for sharing your story
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Ok, day wasted, opps I mean a day of rest . Today we are heading to YS Fall. I love waterfall from Dunn’s River to Niagara, Alaska and Yosemite. We started early (Jamaican time). It was not as adventurous of Dunn’s River but more breathtaking. On the way back we drove down Bamboo Ave, stopped and took a nice stroll. We were with the kids and I wanted to see Peter Tosh Mausoleum. Mercy, Mercy, Mecry, I know there is a bud called herb that grows like weed but I was not ready to see it in a garden with the kids. Well, kids we are in Jamaica just don’t write about his in your book report. There was some thing truly touching, special, like going home to say goodbye to a family member. We stopped at a small mom and pop restaurant for dinner, which was very good. We are back, nice and tired, but of course the kids were hungry AGAIN. We walked around and more fast jerk chicken. Room Only with 2 kids is not cheap if nice meals are involved.

I wanted to view the sunset and decided to walk over to the beach. I got a few of the expected comments of hey sweet dawat. They are Jamaicans guys, easy on the eyes so I smiled and replied, good mon. Not too long before the offers of ‘getting together” started. Sorry, no I am not here for that. Blah, blah, blah, don’t be like that. Unlike anywhere it was repeated to the point of enough (different words) I AM NOT HERE FOR THAT.

The next morning I decided to take a walk with hubby, hey sweet dawta, I have all the energy for you. Yes, you do and a job will cure that. Now in the dialect 'his kind' can’t do a dawta right. Maybe they missed the fact that I am married, nope did not matter. Again and again even on the street. Ok,what’s going on, I don’t look that good. I started to complain about it and my cousin started to laugh. Well, you are a Jamaican with a white guy on the beach. Soooo, well they think you are a beach *****…AHHHHHHHHHHH. This sweet dawta a what, OMGOSH. Wait, I can’t be a BW, I don’t know how to swim, I would assume a prerequisite. Later I got offered herb with my kids too far away I was done. For years that was a no-no in Jamaica at least in Ocho Rios. I am not going to let that ruin my time but I am not going to risk it happening again.

Now more than ever I am looking forward to having fun at SATP and away from it all. I have never chosen an A/I as a hideout before, just someplace where I did not have to think about what to eat. We got there and it was quiet, almost dead. The place is amazingly peaceful and serene but not for me. The staff was friendly and the food very, very good. Still too quiet but it was fine to try some place different. The vibe on this section of the beach was a bit different but still offers to buy, this time craft, just once weed. However , the walk across the street, down a bit before hitting beach sounded better in theory than reality, especially after a few drinks. An evening stroll on the beach was out, something I always enjoyed.

What now, what do I do, where do I go. The cliffs, dear God let it be the reason I don’t cut this trip short. So far I have been called a BW and my hubby JOHN. At this time, I am think this place is the only destination on the never again list (returning summer 2012:-)

User Info Menu

I'm eagerly waiting for more. I love reading stories from returning residents. Great pictures. Where is that place that has the cabins on stilts? So beautiful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    I'm eagerly waiting for more. I love reading stories from returning residents. Great pictures. Where is that place that has the cabins on stilts? So beautiful!
    It's Sunset at the Palms. The best food and staff you can ask for at any resort. It's very quiet and peaceful so if you are looking for action it might not be your best choice. As you can see form the pics, my son loved it and wants to go back:-)

Wow, it does look pretty cool:-)