Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bar for cliff jumping when new Ricks was being built and honeymoon questions

User Info Menu

The bar for cliff jumping when new Ricks was being built and honeymoon questions

I went to Negril years ago and took a cruise to another bar to cliff jump because the new Rick's was being built. The bar was awesome we had to swim underneath the cliff and climb up a ladder which was tunneled through the rock. We paid a guy in the tunnel and received a rum punch. I don't know the name of the bar. What is the name and is it still there? Also me and my fiancé are going for our honeymoon 9/26-10/6. Can't wait. We have dinner reservations at Ivan's, rockhouse, and the caves blackwell rum bar. Is there anything else I should be planning to make the trip special? I wanted to hire a private glass bottom boat so we can snorkel and taxi around for maybe 6 hours or so. Is this possible by just hiring a boat from the beach? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make it special.

User Info Menu

Re: The bar for cliff jumping when new Ricks was being built and honeymoon questions

You can have dinner at The Caves Rum bar? Interesting, didn't know they were offering that. How much are they charging? You can jump from The Sands Bar at The Caves, they're open to the public a couple days a week.
    Are you thinking of Xtabi?

User Info Menu

Re: The bar for cliff jumping when new Ricks was being built and honeymoon questions

Welcome NJRob and congrats!
    You're probably thinking of the old Pirates Cave...you could swim into the cave and climb to their bar or the bar across the street.
    The property was purchased/leased by Rockhouse and is now called Pushcart. Pushcart is a lovely place to dine and have drinks but you can no longer access the property through the cave.

You'll have no problem hiring a glass bottom boat for a few hours from the beach...ENJOY!!

User Info Menu

Yes they make reservations for the public and dinner starts at 7:30pm . They set me up with my own private cave filled with candles 5 courses and alcohol for $300 per couple. I know it's a little expensive but it's my honeymoon. I talked to Mellissa Brown at info@thecaveshotel.com if anyone else is interested.

User Info Menu

The 100 candles dinner at Ivan's
    is very special

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Negril1990 View Post
    The 100 candles dinner at Ivan's
    is very special
    As much as I enjoy Ivan's, I would pay the extra $100 for the privacy of the cave. With alcohol included it completely seals the deal.

congrats OP on your marriage

User Info Menu

I believe the bar you mentioned a side of that cave was the Pickled Parrot. The property is now part of the Rockhouse as already noted.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anabeth View Post
    I believe the bar you mentioned a side of that cave was the Pickled Parrot. The property is now part of the Rockhouse as already noted.
    As previously mentioned, the bar with the cave access was Pirate's Cave. Before that it was Joseph Cave.

It was never part of the Pickled Parrot which was the old Awee Maway property.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    As previously mentioned, the bar with the cave access was Pirate's Cave. Before that it was Joseph Cave.

It was never part of the Pickled Parrot which was the old Awee Maway property.
    Please note I never said it was part of the Pickled Parrot.i did say it was aside of it. And you are correct it was always called Joseph's Cave up into the nineties. There was a cave called Pirates Cave further west which was a part of Marks (original owner of Banana Shout) property. From my last visit it would appear that Ricks Cafe either absorbed or purchased that part of the property long ago. Regardless what was once called Pirates Cave is between those two properties. Funny how things, people, names, etc. change so much over a couple of decades.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anabeth View Post
    Please note I never said it was part of the Pickled Parrot.i did say it was aside of it. And you are correct it was always called Joseph's Cave up into the nineties. There was a cave called Pirates Cave further west which was a part of Marks (original owner of Banana Shout) property. From my last visit it would appear that Ricks Cafe either absorbed or purchased that part of the property long ago. Regardless what was once called Pirates Cave is between those two properties. Funny how things, people, names, etc. change so much over a couple of decades.
    Mark Conklin (RIP) was a great friend and we had a blast sitting for hours on his veranda editing his "Negril stories" into his hilarious book, "Banana Shout". Here is a short excerpt:

http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/nn260600.htm

When Mark split and sold the properties, the cliff side retained the name Banana Shout. I dont think he actually owned the cave section although he did use it. Before he sold the properties (both sides of the road), the land surveyors had to make the boundaries official. He did buy that property a long time back. Its in the book...

Joseph Cave Bar is still across the road from Push Cart, which is Rockhouse's rum bar and less formal restaurant. When the cave portion of the property was first purchased/leased from the Joseph Cave family, the new business owner had to change the name since Joseph Cave still existed as a business. That is how Pirates Cave came to be, no business had the name!

The owner of the Pickled Parrot business (not the land), before being evicted from the property was never allowed to purchase/lease the Joseph Cave seaside property although he tried. And after his eviction, Rockhouse purchased/leased the land that was Awee Maway/Pickled Parrot from the actual owners. When the owner of Pirates Cave decided to sell the business, Rockhouse took it over and Push Cart was born. It can be confusing...

To get an idea of how all these properties came to be, Robin Farquharson has an incredible collection of photos of Negril from back in the 70's, including Awee Maway, Rockhouse and other amazing pictures like showing Rick's when the bar in the pool was still a swimming pool! Here is the link to this pictorial history of Negril:

https://pixjamaica.wordpress.com/
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!