Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valid passport info - minimum 6 months validity after arrival?

User Info Menu

Valid passport info - minimum 6 months validity after arrival?

I've recently heard that some countries require at least 6 months validity after arrival. My passport expires a few weeks after my next plan trip to Negril. Does anyone know if Jamaica has this requirement? Rob?

I went through the steps on IATA.org and it didn't mention anything about this rule. Just want to get some other opinions.

Thanks. I'd hate to get stuck at JFK watching my flight leave without me.

User Info Menu

Re: Valid passport info - minimum 6 months validity after arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNYC View Post
    I've recently heard that some countries require at least 6 months validity after arrival. My passport expires a few weeks after my next plan trip to Negril. Does anyone know if Jamaica has this requirement? Rob?

I went through the steps on IATA.org and it didn't mention anything about this rule. Just want to get some other opinions.

Thanks. I'd hate to get stuck at JFK watching my flight leave without me.
    Hey Mike,

Do you have enough time to renew the PP before you arrive?

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Hi Cap,
    Yeah. Not coming until Dec. Guess I should just renew now anyway. I know that's what the Captain would say.

User Info Menu

From Tripadvisor...

6 month rule passports ( USA)
    Feb 11, 2015, 6:05 PM

I gentleman I work with just returned from a vacation in Jamaica. He first went to Miami, and then was to fly to Montego Bay. His passport was going to expire in 3 months from his travel dates, and he was unable to board his flight. He was informed by airport security that Jamaica has a 6 month rule for passports. Meaning if your passport is to expire in 6 months or sooner, you can not fly to that country.

I just did a search of this on the forum ( because I had never heard of it before), and there has been discussions of this subject in the past . However, several of the posts state that Jamaica does not have the 6 month rule. Here is what I found on the internet:

uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-…

So just a warning to travelers, check your passport expiration, and if you thought you did not have to because of traveling to Jamaica, I just want you to know you are wrong.

The man I work with was able to go to a Passport office in MIami, obtain a passport and fly out several days later. However, what a extra cost and hassle.

Last edited by ukran1ans; 08-29-2017 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I was under the impression that it's the airlines that can deny your boarding & not the country you are visiting...
    "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."

—Jeremy Roenick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    I was under the impression that it's the airlines that can deny your boarding & not the country you are visiting...
    Either way " you ain't getting on no plane" or "you're ain't getting in"

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

When I boarded the plane last reach.....the Delta attendant pointed out my upcoming expiration of my passport...it still had 8 months left on it but she did make a comment about not flying if it expired within 6 months.....I was heading to Jamaica at this time....this was in ATL via Delta...

User Info Menu

This is taken off the Government of Canada website today August 28/2017 :

"Passport

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Jamaica, which must be valid for the duration of their intended stay in the country. Alternatively, you may present a government-issued identification with photograph, along with an official birth certificate. Before you leave, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

Temporary passport holders may be subject to different entry requirements. Check with diplomatic representatives for up-to-date information."

It may be different for Americans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    From Tripadvisor...

6 month rule passports ( USA)
    Feb 11, 2015, 6:05 PM

I gentleman I work with just returned from a vacation in Jamaica. He first went to Miami, and then was to fly to Montego Bay. His passport was going to expire in 3 months from his travel dates, and he was unable to board his flight. He was informed by airport security that Jamaica has a 6 month rule for passports. Meaning if your passport is to expire in 6 months or sooner, you can not fly to that country.

I just did a search of this on the forum ( because I had never heard of it before), and there has been discussions of this subject in the past . However, several of the posts state that Jamaica does not have the 6 month rule. Here is what I found on the internet:

uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-…

So just a warning to travelers, check your passport expiration, and if you thought you did not have to because of traveling to Jamaica, I just want you to know you are wrong.

The man I work with was able to go to a Passport office in MIami, obtain a passport and fly out several days later. However, what a extra cost and hassle.

I've watched TA participants 'debate' and 'advise' on this topic fairly regularly and over many years...in all those years I've only seen one or two people that have given first hand experiences.

I've had a passport that was to expire within days of returning to my birth/passport issuing country. The airline was concerned at first and told me they could deny my flight...they quickly made a phone call to the appropriate people and the airline was told that I was okay to fly to Jamaica. There is no six month passport rule within Jamaica.

Now, having shared my experience...as you can see...it can be decided by the airlines whether you get on that particular flight you've booked...if you don't want to be dealing with an airline that may or may not know whether the six month rule applies...you should choose to avoid the scenario by getting a more up-to-date passport.

User Info Menu

What's the point of having an expiry date if it's not a hard number? Like booking a dinner table from 6 to 8 and having the table cleared at 7:30 because you're within a half hour of the end of your reservation. What am I missing? If it hasn't expired then it's good is how I feel.