Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irma

User Info Menu

Irma

I know we can't predict the path of the storm yet, just wondering if anyone on the island can tell me what is being said or if anyone is preparing for impact? I pray it moves north and misses all the islands in the Caribbean. We are scheduled to arrive next week Wednesday, and hope we still get to.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Irma

Being the summer season, Jamaica gets prepared in May and June for anything the weather will throw at us. That being said, nothing is being "prepared" out of the ordinary for Irma. There are absolutely no projections yet that has Irma getting anywhere near the island. And the projections for Harvey were incredibly accurate.

It would be about 5 days if anything extraordinary is done. And the people would be notified. It would be a waste of time, money and resources to implement measures now for a situation that doesn't exist and only requires monitoring.

See you next week!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Being the summer season, Jamaica gets prepared in May and June for anything the weather will throw at us. That being said, nothing is being "prepared" out of the ordinary for Irma. There are absolutely no projections yet that has Irma getting anywhere near the island. And the projections for Harvey were incredibly accurate.

It would be about 5 days if anything extraordinary is done. And the people would be notified. It would be a waste of time, money and resources to implement measures now for a situation that doesn't exist and only requires monitoring.

See you next week!
    Here in So. Florida everyone is going through a bunch of angst worrying about devastation like Harvey in Texas but still not doing anything to prepare for a possible Cat 4 Irma approaching. Yesterday is looked a little iffy and today it is looking better and the storm is still over a week away if it did hit.

I was in Negril for the Matthew fizzle and that storm was a lot closer. It seems to me that Jamaicans (like So. Floridians) do very little preparation until the last minute.

Just my opinion
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

ACC,

The projections have been getting much better over the years. Getting all worked up over nothing is futile. By Monday we will have a much better idea of what is going to happen. That will still leave days to get prepared.

Putting up boards on the windows is costly and time consuming, as well as hot. If nothing is going to happen, why do that?

Maybe there is a reason people wait...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Calm down folks.

For what it's worth both the EPS (Ensemble Prediction Systems ) and GEFS (Global Ensemble Forecast System) as well as the ECMWF (European international ensemble) show a recurve and none show it entering the Caribbean.

At any rate the models are out to 240 hours. Just keep a "weather eye" out.

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 09-01-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I appreciate the responses. It's hard not to get worried. Being from the Midwest we don't need to worry about hurricanes directly affecting us. That makes sense to me that you would wait until you have more reliable info on where it will actually hit to start getting the structures protected.
    We're still looking forward to being there next week
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2012 View Post
    I know we can't predict the path of the storm yet, just wondering if anyone on the island can tell me what is being said or if anyone is preparing for impact? I pray it moves north and misses all the islands in the Caribbean. We are scheduled to arrive next week Wednesday, and hope we still get to.
    Some of most memorable times in Jamaica have been during a tropical storms. Sit back, relax, listen to the rain hit the tin roof and make babies if the storm comes!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Some of most memorable times in Jamaica have been during a tropical storms. Sit back, relax, listen to the rain hit the tin roof and make babies if the storm comes!!!
    No more babies! But I get what you're saying, and if it's just some rain I can definitely relax and enjoy that 😄

User Info Menu

Florida Hurricane Irma

well we gassed up today , all the stores are already out of water but we managed to find some at the gas station. We are preparing for a bad hit. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it does not happen but all the models show that south florida is going to get impacted one way or another. We are in port charlotte close to the coast so we are planning on leaving the area probably Thursday depending on the models. We were suppose to fly out Saturday up to Michigan saturday but most likely ft. myers airport will be closed and we really need to be close by in case our home is damaged badly. I feel so bad for Kathy because she has not seen her mother for almost 2 years and has not seen her since her bad accident. Will probably delay our flight by a couple days and cancel if we take a bad hit. The good thing is that our house heae survived hurricaer charlie fairly well, esp. being the eye was only 2 miles away . We are the only ones in our neighborhood that have flood insurance and out canal out back drains well.Too anyone else reading this from the area we wish you good luck and stay safe

User Info Menu

Re: hurricane

i should have spelled check