Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of electricity

User Info Menu

Re: Cost of electricity

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    To make matters worse, if you live in a rural area, like we do it is much higher. Bills of $30,000 J per month are not uncommon.
    In Ja all things included at my usage (330 KWh) we pay 40JA per KWh. Graduated cost so if you use more you pay a higher rate for the additional use

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Wow!

User Info Menu

At our home in Accompong Town, St. Elizabeth we average about 90Kwh per month and the bill is usually less than $3,000 J. LED lights (used sparingly) TV, fan (when I am there), fridge and LOTS of music.

Helps to be at higher elevation where the temperatures are significantly lower and breezier. A/C use really drives up the usage.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Obviously, a small, island nation without fossil fuels pays a premium for imported oil to fuel the power plants. At least the costly supply is equally reliable!

Too bad there isn't enough sunshine for solar arrays!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    Obviously, a small, island nation without fossil fuels pays a premium for imported oil to fuel the power plants. At least the costly supply is equally reliable!

Too bad there isn't enough sunshine for solar arrays!
    As individuals and/or businesses can afford...solar is being set up in homes, hotels etc...then there's the whole debate about coming off the grid.
    We have solar hot water.

User Info Menu

What about some turbines on the upper roaring river or rivers of that size? Not feasible?

Administrator

User Info Menu

JPS already has a variety of generating plants, steam (oil-fired), gas turbines, combined cycle, diesel, hydropower and wind.

https://www.jpsco.com/about-jps/how-.../power-plants/

A goal of the government is to have at least 20 renewable energy by 2030. So far JPS has no solar farms, but as Lisa mentioned, many businesses and homes are installing their own. Adoption of solar was hindered by a surcharge (now rescinded) to those using solar but still connected to JPS. You can now sell your excess electricity back to JPS, but at a reduced rate.

JPS made a major press release the other day about dropping their rates by 2%.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

One month 455.8 kWh
    On peak 73.6 kwh@15.7 cents $11.56
    Mid peak72.4kwh@11.3 cents $8.19
    Off peak309.8kwh@7.7 cents $23.86
    Delivery charge $54.54
    Regulatory charges $3.05
    HST $13.16

$106.26 Cnd. Ontario
    residential medium density 1 month June no AC

User Info Menu

Just imagine what the bill is for some of the recent sprawling AI's. How the heck does that play into pricing and planning supply capacity? I support "smart" sustainable development, but it's hard to reflect on the past 33 years of trips to Negril and not be concerned about what's currently going on. My benchmark is the coral diversity and health that I observe when I go snorkeling. What I see these days really concerns me.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.