Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: My little piece of Jamaica at home

User Info Menu

My little piece of Jamaica at home

w have had a lousy summer but I found these Hibiscus which are bred for northern climates! They will actually winter. The flowers are larger than the ones in Ja but the plants are shorter.

Name:  IMG_1193.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1185.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1196.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  94.7 KB
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Re: My little piece of Jamaica at home

They are beautiful!!! I wonder if they would survive the prairie winter??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Momthor3 View Post
    They are beautiful!!! I wonder if they would survive the prairie winter??
    They should. You have to ask for Hardy Hibiscus. This late in the year I would wait to get them until spring. Oh, the whiter ones bloom in early August, while the red just last week.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

A friend of mine used to have these on his balcony when I lived in an apartment. He had them in pots, brought them inside over the winter, and they did fine. Southeastern PA.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna check it out in the spring!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    A friend of mine used to have these on his balcony when I lived in an apartment. He had them in pots, brought them inside over the winter, and they did fine. Southeastern PA.
    If your friend brought them inside for the winter then they might have been regular hibiscus. The ones I have are hardy. Apparently they are popular around here and grow every year. But, I must tell you that the bulbs cost me $20 (Canadian) each and well worth the price. The flowers are the size of a sandwich plate. I know because I actually took a plate outside and measured
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Cool.....I have a likkle piece of Jamaica where I live too! My Jamaica bar/man cave. Hardly an open space on the walls in the whole place. If I could figure out how to put pictures of my "happy" place on here I would. Help Rob! One love.

User Info Menu

This hibiscus is in the same family as the rose of sharon but has larger blooms. Your pictures looked like my plants and they winter well. I have 4 but only 1 white. very nice plant.

User Info Menu

I live in Wisconsin and have some hybiscus that are over ten years old. I collect the seeds every fall. Let me know if you want some and I would be happy to mail them in late fall