Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing time with 8 year old near MBJ

User Info Menu

Killing time with 8 year old near MBJ

My 8-year-old son and I will be arriving at 11 a.m. at MBJ, but my wife and sister in law will be arriving at 230. Any suggestions on killing some time.

I'm sure he will want to head to the beach, but not sure what options are available without being a guest somewhere. Plus we will have our bags.

I was thinking we'd go to one of the BBQ spots in Montego Bay, eat and drink some cold red stripes while we wait, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Killing time with 8 year old near MBJ

That's not really much time.
    Say you finally get out the Airport at 12:00,
    then it will take 1/2 hour to get anywhere in Mobay.
    Now its 12:30
    Spend 1 and 1/2 hours some place.
    Then 1/2 hour to get back to Airport.

I would chill, with bags (and son) at the place for
    Patties and Brew right outside the
    arrival doors.

Great people watching at the airport.

User Info Menu

The only idea close for an 8 year old is Doc's Cave beach.. a 10 min cab ride but no idea what to do with your luggage (you can change at Doc Cav's too).

Last edited by ukran1ans; 10-17-2017 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh Yeah,
    Doctor's Cave Beach is a nice place,
    right on the "Hip Strip"
    Ukran1ans is right about that.

Just remember: They do charge to enter that private Beach.

User Info Menu

Your friends are arriving at 2;30, PRIME TIME, and will take them awhile to get through immigration, so you could be looking at 4 hours. For an 8 year old, that's eternity.....lol Take a taxi to Doctor's Cave beach ( drag your luggage with you, no big deal, I am sure a lot of folks to something of the same ) . Relax , and your son will love spending time on that beach. You can also get food and drink while you are there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Your friends are arriving at 2;30, PRIME TIME, and will take them awhile to get through immigration, so you could be looking at 4 hours. For an 8 year old, that's eternity.....lol Take a taxi to Doctor's Cave beach ( drag your luggage with you, no big deal, I am sure a lot of folks to something of the same ) . Relax , and your son will love spending time on that beach. You can also get food and drink while you are there.

It is prime time, but it's on a Monday (in Feb). I'm hoping that won't be so bad. Other years we have arrived on Saturday and it was, um, bad.

User Info Menu

Solo Traveller, I go in February every year, and purchase Club Mo Bay, everyday in primetime is super busy, trust me on this. Sitting in the heat at the airport for that long will not be fun for you guys, but, do what you think is best. If it was me, I would be out of that airport, going to the beach, renting a chair, and sipping on a rum and cola !!

User Info Menu

I get in at 10:50 on a Monday, I'll be fine Do you think a Monday afternoon will be bad?

User Info Menu

Thats what I was saying, you will probably get through nicely, but mid afternnon will be crowded. Why, because of the high prices for February a lot of folks will fly mid week to get better pricing... Four hours waiting for your friends, then another hour and a half riding into Negril , doesn't sound fun for a first day for the 8 year old , just saying !! You asked for opinions ! You can just situate your chair close to the water to keep an eye on your son, and you will get a head start on your tan lines, lol.... unless you want an umbrella.

User Info Menu

Ok, this is funny, I just reread your post, and I though I was talking to Mrs. Solo Traveler, not Mr. My advice still stands, that's an awfully long wait.....or....If your wife is comfortable with jumping on the Juta bus with her sister, why not you just go on ahead with your son, check into your hotel, and have it all ready for them when they arrive ? Just another option.