Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the use of ATM outside of banks?

User Info Menu

Re: Update on the use of ATM outside of banks?

After hearing all the hassles, I'm glad I bring cash down for the whole trip (keeping most of my money in the office safety deposit box once I arrive)... bringing my credit cards only for an emergency (I do inform my banks that I'm there though, in case I have to use them).

Last edited by ukran1ans; 10-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

When we travel our bank limits us to 300 a day max. We cannot get more without a phone call and proper password during the call. Any attempts to take out cash after the 300 on any given day shuts the card down. We do a quick 5 minute check on our account each morning during coffee and have never had an issue. So the most we could lose is 300. For anything else we load up a few prepaid's with a little on each one so we can't lose a bundle that way either. Seems like a lot of fuss but really it's just our travel habit now and we don't find it awkward at all. We are more concerned about getting scammed in the US then in Jamaica because we use very little caution at home.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Bank of America app offers the ability to lock the debit card or credit card temporarily and unlock it as needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post

My bank is actually overly-cautious and they have turned off my ATM card multiple times in Negril - even after I told them I was travelling. This usually happened after using the NCB ATM at Sunshine plaza. That machine has a relatively low withdrawal limit (I think it was $20,000J at the time) so I tried to do 2 consecutive withdrawals. Apparently, this is a red flag and the bank locked my card. I spent quite a few Digicel minutes getting that resolved. Twice.
    that NCB ATM the daily allowance is now $30,000J.....if you enter $40,000J it won't accept it....
    this ATM only spits out $1,000J bills compared to the Scotia Bank ATM that spits out $5,000J bills....
    trying to get change in Negril for a $5,000J bill can be a royal headache....yah mon

this guy be in trouble if mi bank ever decided to turn off mi ATM debit card in Jamaica since mi here for months at a time.....lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Morning ,
    Quick question :

Is the ATM outside the airport free to use or is there charges ?
    I use Jamaica national card and will need some cash to get to negril otherwise is there a machine near mobay bus park ?

Cheers

Administrator

User Info Menu

The j$5000 is becoming much more common and easy to use. I would not suggest using one to buy a single drink, no more than using a us$50 to buy a single drink. But if you are buying jerk chicken and drinks or shopping at HiLo, the $5000 will be easily used.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Morning ,
    Quick question :

Is the ATM outside the airport free to use or is there charges ?
    I use Jamaica national card and will need some cash to get to negril otherwise is there a machine near mobay bus park ?

Cheers
    The ATM machine that "might" be free would be one that is associated with your card. But NCB and Scotia both charge fees for their own issued cards.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    that NCB ATM the daily allowance is now $30,000J.....if you enter $40,000J it won't accept it....
    this ATM only spits out $1,000J bills compared to the Scotia Bank ATM that spits out $5,000J bills....
    trying to get change in Negril for a $5,000J bill can be a royal headache....yah mon

this guy be in trouble if mi bank ever decided to turn off mi ATM debit card in Jamaica since mi here for months at a time.....lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    I burned thru numerous 5000J bills my last trip with not much of an issue. Now if you try to use one at a rum bar that hasn't seen much action for the day it likely will be an issue. I prefer the 5000J bills to minimize the lump in my wallet.

User Info Menu

Cheers Rob , it's the ATM to the left as you come out of arrivals the one I'm on about ,if it's branded that'll be brill it's just those cashpoints that only give you about £50 yet charge a tenner withdrawing that I avoid .

Thanks

User Info Menu

Is there an atm at the airport or should a person bring enough cash to get to negril. We get in late so we couldn't make a bank till the next day. Any suggestions