Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for prayers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Asking for prayers

I haven't posted for a long time. I've asked for prayers before and you guys were awesome.

I'm asking again for my dad. He has Alzheimer's dementia and went into skilled nursing yesterday for rehab. He is 88 years old, in stage 6 Alzheimer's. Over the last few years he developed parkinsonian symptoms in his legs, shuffling, freezing in place. He uses a walker all the time and depends on it. He has fallen before over the last year and has recouperated from them. He fell twice last week and was having trouble walking after and getting off of the couch. Monday he couldn't move at all and I called an ambulance to take him to the ER for x-rays. Nothing is broken, they did labs and urine which were negative, chest scan negative. He was calm the whole time he was in ER. He failed the mobility test walking with a walker and I decided to have him brought home by ambulance because there was no way he would be able to get from the car to the house. As soon as the paramedics got him out of the ambulance and onto the street, he became extremely aggitated, grabbing at the paramedics and the tree limbs on the way into the house and in the house he got worse, breathing hard and fast, they couldn't leave him in that state. They called 911 and had another ambulance take him back to ER where he returned to being calm. Since he failed mobility test he had to go to Skilled Nursing for rehab. Again, he became extremely aggitated and combative in the ambulance to the rehab place and was like that all day yesterday, very anxious and afraid, kept touching the wall like he wasn't sure if the place was real. Today, he was a lot calmer and they did some OT and PT which he did pretty good and he fed himself. My goal is to get him strong enough to bring home where he will have a lot of care. He just needs to get through the next few weeks. He has never acted like this before, he is the calmest, gentle person you'd ever meet, never gets mad. I need my dad to get strong and come home, where he is familiar with everything, he has lived there since 1972. Thank you all for your help.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Asking for prayers

NegrilIrene,

It is so hard to deal with our parents health issues. I lost my Mom this year and we are currently dealing with multiple family health problems.

Please don't feel like you are alone, many of the people reading this thread are experiencing their own terrible situations.

We all wish you all the best and prayers, but at times like this there is really nothing anyone can write to ease the pain.

We are all thinking of you and hoping for the best, and please keep a positive outlook as often that is the best medicine.

Hang in there...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

You and your dad are in my thoughts. My dad also spent some time in a nursing home this year after he lost his foot. One day at a time...hang in there and don't forget to take care of yourself!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I wish you and your dad calm days ahead. It’s so hard to watch our parents health decline as they get older. I have spent the last two afternoons with my mom as she has cancer. As excited as I am to leave sat. I’m feeling guilty. Special prayers for you both.

User Info Menu

Prayers for you and your family!
    My mom passed away in a nursing care facility several years ago, at the age of 95. She had Alzheimer's as well, and I learned a lot about the complexity of it... a strange and difficult condition that causes anxiety and paranoia. I guess when you live in one world and much of the time, your parent lives in another, it's not easy to communicate. Imagine being told that you are going into a beautiful garden but all you see is being led into a raging fire.
    The saddest days for me was when Mom was lucid and realized what her life had come to. She would cry and feel miserable, and then slip back into the Alzheimer's world.
    I pray for peace for your father and for you!
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NegrilIrene View Post
    I haven't posted for a long time. I've asked for prayers before and you guys were awesome.

I'm asking again for my dad. Thank you all for your help.
    i'm sending prayers for your father to gain strength and find peace to eliminate the agitation. i'm sending prayers for you and your family to get through this trying time with grace and poise. also sending love!
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 11-10-2017 at 08:36 AM.

User Info Menu

I Pray that your Father will regain his peaceful heart, his strength, and is able to return home as soon as possible. IJNIPTT

User Info Menu

Sending prayers for your family. My mother is 80 and has dementia. It is very hard watching this disease progress. My dad has had open heart surgery a few years ago also. You will be in our thoughts.

User Info Menu

Quote by Georgia...

"The saddest days for me was when Mom was lucid and realized what her life had come to. She would cry and feel miserable, and then slip back into the Alzheimer's world. "

Going through this with my father now. Just so very sad indeed!

NegrilIrene, I hope the future will bring peace to your dad and yourself.

User Info Menu

I hope your father improves enough for you to have him at home where where belongs. Sending prayers your way.
    Irie Sue