Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N00B on the message boards, asking for some help!

User Info Menu

N00B on the message boards, asking for some help!

So, im in a big limbo an i`ve decided to finally make an account and post, instead of just ghosting on here everyday at work (for the past year). Im still a newbie to Jamaica, and posting in these message boards, Normally all my questions are answered in previous threads but this time i need help if you can sit through this short story.

Im 26, male, been to RIU clubnegril in June 2017 for my first jamaican experience, got off the resort, explored, loved it. I went with my friend so it was cool, but not a lot of action at our hotel (it was slow season after all). Now my dilemma begins because, I`m going solo in January because none of my friends have the funds to go, and its my week off work i have to get out!

My problem is i`m a very nice, open minded and friendly person, but extremely shy (i feel awkward socially around people i don`t know, EX: Trying to just introduce and talk)
    So i don`t know if on a big resort i will just seclude myself in a ``corner`` because there`s too many people, or if a small resort i will feel too ``Lonely`` i understand this is all mental but... ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME

`My other problem is I`m going in January i`m undecided if i should do AI or not and WHICH... I feel like RIU negril was a real great experience but, i`m not going there again as its my second trip and want to try out other things.
    Budget is just about 2000$ CDN accommodations for the week (i normally book package vacations as its cheaper then a plane and hotel separate), Ive only been to the west side of jamaica, but hotel wise, all thats ever interested me has been montegobay - negril, never been to Ochi but from the images i got in my head i think negril is a way better part to be in Jamaica to just be able to relax and enjoy and explore

User Info Menu

Re: N00B on the message boards, asking for some help!

I'm by no means an expert. But AIs in Negril do it a disservice .
    Too many places to visit, bars, restaurants etc.
    Walk the beach , venture up to the west end, more bars , restaurants and sights to see.
    Venture during the day is no problem travelling solo. Nite more care is required. I was 26 once , trouble is easy to find if you look for it.
    Just cab it. Many bars/restaurants offer shuttle one way.
    Stay on the beach, white sands , charela , bar b barn many to choos from.
    Get one with a breakfast plan to start your day.
    Many like minded people on the beach to engage with or not if ou just want to chill.
    Eating on the beach is a non issue ,the food will come to you if all you want to do is relax and be a lazy ass...
    Many bars along beach will have entertainment and night life.
    Again if near your hotel no problem . If further , at night ,cab it.
    I'm sure many more will chime in.
    2 weeks we'll be there, 9 days at Negril palms and 5 at samsara.

User Info Menu

Hi JAHtony, It is busy season in January, so you will want to get a place lined up asap. For a guy, your age , I think you would like staying at Alfreds, right on Negril beach. It's a nice family owned restaurant and bar, with rooms . The rooms are nothing fancy, but clean, and anything you would need for being a single guy. The food and drink at the bar is great, and they have live music a few nights out of the week. It will be very easy for you to meet other folks, as it is a popular place. They usually have a volleyball game going on, and they have a nice beach area. Rooms are only around 50 to 60 a night, even in busy season, so your budget will leave you a lot of fun money. Another place to try, really good for solos is the White Sands. These are two places to give a try, call direct, or e mail for a swift answer of availability. Negril is full of fun and action, and you will love it. Feel free to ask anymore questions, but locking up a place is now your priority, good luck !!

User Info Menu

hey jahtony! i agree with jojop- alfred's is a GREAT place for a young, friendly but shy guy who's still getting his negril sea legs.

first of all, you can't beat the location. it's in the middle of everything but not all crowded up. everyone stops by alfred's at some point, so you're going to meet people.

on the value-for-money tip, it's hard to beat. rooms are about $50 us a night.they are simple, clean and very secure.

it's a really friendly, family-run business (the arthurs are pioneers in the negril hospitality industry) with a ton of return guests.

i'm not sure if we're allowed to directly mention the travel website that starts with TR, but if you go on there and search for alfred's and pull up the listing for hotel (as opposed to restaurant) you can see my super in depth review.

and to put my comments in perspective, i started visiting jamaica in 1996 (when i was 27) because all of my friends in brooklyn have family there. i'm 48 now, married with an 11 year old. my husband and son love jamaica, too. it's been great to share a place with them that is so special to me.

oh yeah, i should add that when i wanted to make a reservation, i emailed canderarthurs@gmail.com. that's the owner's wife, cindy's email. we did everything via email with zero issues.

ugh, one more addition- if you search for "alfred's" on this site you'll find a thread i started, asking if any boardies had actually stayed there. several people replied positively and i gave a trip report at the end of the thread.
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 11-11-2017 at 07:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome!

My first experience in Jamaica was a large AI in Ocho Rios. I never had the chance to get off the resort, but knew that I had really missed out by not doing so. I wanted to return the following year, so I decided to just go for it. I booked everything for myself, by myself.

For me, Grand Pineapple Negril was a great start in Negril. Because as an "all inclusive" you have airport transfers, basic alcohol and red stripe, and three meals a day (plus some grill choices on request). There are also so hand me down water sports like a hobie cat and SUP.

That said, don't book here expecting a RIU experience. The Grand Pineapple is pretty basic. But that is what I like about it. For a solo traveller, you don't pay more than a double would, you just pay the rate all by yourself- no single supplement. For me, the cost isn't terrible given that there are inclusions.

What I love about the Grand Pineapple as a newbie to Negril, and really, the best part about the Grand Pineapple to me, is the location. You are literally only a few properties away from some of the popular hot spots for visitors and Alfred's is right next door, so going out during the day and night is no problem. Everything is very walkable from the location of the Grand Pineapple.

I also like that I can have a good breakfast in the morning at the hotel, then find my way around town for lunch and dinner. I don't feel like I overspend on the hotel so I don't mind eating out. When I stay at Grand Pineapple, I bring about $400 USD in cash because everything is already paid for before I even get there. That money pays for tips, taxis, excursions, and drinks/snacks/food off property.

For me, Grand Pineapple was a good spring board into Negril. Now, I say at non inclusive hotels and love it, but I'm grateful for giving myself a "back-up" plan with the all inclusive GP. I stayed there again my second year because of returning guest $$ credits. I am struggling with staying there again for my next trip, because it's not much more than a non inclusive hotel I'm looking at and like I said, the location can't be beat for me.

Either way, you can't go wrong in Negril. I would suggest staying at a hotel on the main section of the beach. Walking around, you can't escape the opportunity to talk with people, and if you want, and get a little shy like me when you are 100% on your own, you can just walk to a place, grab a beer, and keep walking ... until you feel comfortable and find places that you connect with.

I love that you are taking a risk and going alone. I think it will change your life! That shyness will leave you in the first 24 hours and you'll have the time of your life!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

603 makes many good points with respect to Grand PA. and its location.
    The price is such you wont feel obligated to stay and use your inclusions if at any time you wanna venture out.
    But at anytime you feel like sticking around or want to start the day with the included breakfast or end it hanging around enjoying the included bar service its available to you.
    Like she said a good springboard with best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

I agree that 603 makes a lot of good points. One point of correction, though, is that airport transfers are NOT included in the price you pay.

That said, we usually stay at a non-AI most of our visits, but we still will book a few nights at the GP every few years, too.

User Info Menu

You sound like a couple, which is fine for GP, but single, young guy, solo, = a place like Alfred's. Why have him pay double the price ?? again, JMO !!!

User Info Menu

Not only gp but any place on the beach that offers an AI option. Good safety net for a first timer to get feet wet. So to speak !

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, but suggesting a young man . solo, in Negril would have a better time in an AI is crazy... again, IMO..LOL