Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need your help folks...

User Info Menu

Re: Need your help folks...

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    hi rob,

do: have a beer at the police station!
    Ok please do tell. Is there a tour available? Besides the obvious FREE tour you can get if you run afoul of the law.

User Info Menu

Don't : Scrub a Dub topless nightclub

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    Ok please do tell. Is there a tour available? Besides the obvious FREE tour you can get if you run afoul of the law.
    It's honestly not that impressive other than to say you can and have... and the fact that there is a bar at the police station. Walk to the roundabout and bear left toward the taxi park. The police station is on the right side of the road past the health center. Nampariel road, I believe. It's something to tell your friends back home about!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Don't : Scrub a Dub topless nightclub
    haha, that was on my personal Do list, went once and never need to go again. What an experience!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post

i went and had a drink there for my birthday this year!

i learned about it here!

User Info Menu

DO
    Enjoy everything Negril has to offer.
    Relax, relax and relax some more.
    Treat everyone with respect – you will hear “respect” everywhere
    Eat the local food – it is unbelievable.
    Take Vitamin B one week before and during entire trip (Helps repel bugs and reduce hangovers) doesn’t work for me but some say it is the best.
    Bring insect repellent and use it – especially on the beach at sunset
    Bring half the clothes and twice the money you plan on.

DON"T
    Do not tell people this is your first time - tell them you have been here 5 times.
    Do not tell people you just arrived – tell them you have been here for awhile.
    Do not brag about what you do or how much money you have.
    Do not pay the asking price for anything unless the price is on a menu.
    Do not take a taxi or tour unless you have an agreed upon price.
    Do not tell where you are staying or room number to anyone.
    Do not allow new “friends’ into your room.
    Do not help create a society of beggars – just say NO.
    Do not give handouts to people just to make them leave you alone.
    Do not accept ‘help’ unless you are ready to pay for it.
    Do not let someone put aloe on you unless you expect to pay for it.
    Do not bring big bills – no one will have change. If they have no change they will go get it – relax and have another cold one.
    Do not mistake truly friendly people for scam artists - the vast, vast majority of Jamaicans are honest as the beach is beautiful.

User Info Menu

Pet peeve # 1 is the horses running at full gallop on the beach..pet peeve # 2 i s when they take the horses into the water to do their number two so they don't have to pick it up..rant over...

User Info Menu

I do have a copy of the Negril 101 post - aka Negril Guide 2007 - by Rizla from the old message board. While the specific listings are obsolete, much of the general information and the glossary of terms are still valid. Here are the points that lead off that post:

1. Common sense prevails.
    2. Negotiate a price with a red plate taxi before you get in the car. If a driver waits for you at the supermarket, you’ll be paying for his time, unless you’ve negotiated that into the price beforehand. (I would add that this means do NOT take white plate illegal "taxis".)
    3. When dealing with beach vendors, a polite No, thank you and a smile is better than saying that’ll you’ll see them on the way back; they’ll expect it.
    4. Carry a pocket calculator and take the time to do the conversion. It’s very easy to get confused in a deal and pay more for something than you should have. Negotiate it down to a reasonable price and take the time to do the math.
    5. Ganja is not legal (note: this now requires some elaboration). If you get too high, eat sugar and it’ll bring you back down. Taking a few tokes off a spliff is not the same as having a few bites of ganja cake. The same goes for mushrooms. That’s a day trip you’ll want to avoid.
    6. Hydrate, sun block, hydrate, sun block, hydrate, sun block, hydrate. Repeat.
    7. Braids hurt; you're better off spending that money on a nice massage.
    8. Don't expect things on your time, especially dinner. Most food is cooked to order with fresh ingredients. Yard food tends to be ready to pick up ‘n go.
    9. Watch for bones when eating fish. Give your extra chicken bones to the dogs.
    10. Not everyone wants their photo taken. Ask first; many will say yes.
    11. Assume nothing. Everything has a price.
    12. Tip your servers and housekeeping well. They earn very little. Feel free to leave things behind for housekeeping that you don’t want to carry back.
    13. Walking barefoot on soil may give you parasites. Be careful of broken glass in the sand.
    14. Carry wipes to use after eating jerk chicken or for places out of toilet paper.
    15. Don’t tell a Jamaican man where you’re staying unless you want him to stop by later to let you buy him a drink. (Always refer back to Rule #1.)
    16. Change your money at The Cambio or bank. Restaurants are notorious for using a much lower rate. You’re better off paying in J’s (Jamaican dollars) to avoid this. (I would add that this means do NOT change your money with the guys hanging out near the cambios or banks.)
    17. Be careful walking down/crossing the street. Cars drive fast, on the left, and are constantly passing one another. Pedestrians, animals, and bikes lose out.
    18. Don’t fret over the afternoon rain. It’ll cool things off and be finished by sunset. This is a great time to nap, if you can sleep through the THUNDER.
    19. If you smoke cigarettes, pay more for American. There are no regulations on Jamaican cigarettes and they should change the name Craven A to Cracken A. Don’t be surprised if you’re up all night after smoking them.
    20. Restaurants operate by the whim of the owner and the only thing consistent is inconsistency. They may be open (but out of food), closed, no longer in business, or having a bad night. No problem.
    21. No problem is said often, especially when there’s a problem.
    22. Last, but not least, “Never leave a fellow crasher behind.” – Vince Vaughn
    Last edited by wrtiii; 11-13-2017 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

#13... 99 % of the reason I go to Negril,...to walk all day, everyday barefoot in the sand......
    # 22...lol..

User Info Menu

When you go to a restaurant, do ask what they have or what's good tonight. Ordering something from the menu that is not on hand and prepped can result in a VERY long wait.

Don't sweat modest amounts of money - we all want good deals, but if on your vacation you spend $10/day more than you would have if you completely knew how much everything should cost, don't obsess over that and let it spoil things for you. Overpaying by a dollar for orange juice or by three dollars for a pineapple is not a catastrophe.

Do be generous with the cab drivers, especially on longer trips such as to MBJ and back. How much does a 50 mile cab ride cost where you live? Cars, tires and gas are not cheaper in Jamaica.

Do eat what is produced locally. Insisting on a steak is probably a mistake - think about where it was shipped from, how long it was en route, and how long it sat in the kitchen waiting for someone to order it. Food poisoning really messes up your vacation.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 11-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.