Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need your help folks...

User Info Menu

Re: Need your help folks...

wrtiii

I do have a copy of the Negril 101 post - aka Negril Guide 2007 - by Rizla from the old message board. While the specific listings are obsolete, much of the general information and the glossary of terms are still valid. Here are the points that lead off that post:

9. Watch for bones when eating fish. Give your extra chicken bones to the dogs.

DO NOT give chicken bones to the dogs.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/chicken-bones-bad-dogs
    Last edited by Todd; 11-13-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Peace, Todd & Cher

User Info Menu

Negotiate, but allow these people to make a living. A dollar here and there means little to us, and much more to them. I like to negotiate hard so I know I'm getting the very best deal, then pay a little extra by choice. I don't mind being generous, but do not like being taken advantage of. I don't give hand outs, but always tip well.
    There's a young guy, 16 or 17 and very hard working, who busses tables and helps the waitress at Coco. I always slip him a $5 in case the wait staff aren't as generous with him.

User Info Menu

Use common sense. Don’t do anything in Ja that you wouldn’t do at home.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Do ask any restaurant before you order if they do the 16% rip off tax thing and if so say you wont pay it. Many will then say "no tax". One restaurant will have no tax,another will say 10%. Don't pay it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    Ok please do tell. Is there a tour available? Besides the obvious FREE tour you can get if you run afoul of the law.
    Here is the bar. We were the only ones there, had a couple cold RS and then left. We rolled up on our scooter and just walked right in. No one bats an eye.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_a2e.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  16.1 KB

User Info Menu

Agree on taxi amount before you get in. Have change, know the exchange rate, be polite.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Do ask any restaurant before you order if they do the 16% rip off tax thing and if so say you wont pay it. Many will then say "no tax". One restaurant will have no tax,another will say 10%. Don't pay it.
    There is much misinformation out there about the sales tax and service charges in Jamaica. As Benjamin Franklin said there are only two things certain in life: death and taxes.

You can ask for "no tax", but you willl be paying the tax anyway. The government sees to that. The tax is a sales tax, called GCT here. And every Jamaican business is required to pay it.

Some businesses break the tax out of their prices and it is added to the bill, others include them in the price and subtract it out to pay the government. Either way, you are paying the tax.

Because of the business incentives of the past, some long running businesses are allowed to pay a reduced GCT. The two present tiers are 10% and 16.5%.

The incentive 10% only applies to older businesses and that waiver cannot be passed on to new owners. For all newer businesses, the rate is 16.5%. If you check your machine printed receipt at HiLo or most places for that matter, you will notice the GCT as a line item on the receipt.

The only optional charge a restaurant can have is the service charge. This is a charge added to the bill that is split between all hourly employees. This can be thought of as a general tip for all the employees, and you can add what you want for the server on top of that charge.

Do not confuse the service charge with the usual tip you may want the server to get. They will only receive a percentage of that charge based on the number of hours they worked versus the total number of hours worked by all employees.

It is illegal for a business not to pay GCT, which is based on their sales. If you mistakenly think that you are able to pay "no tax" just by asking, you are simply encouraging the restaurant to include the GCT in the price of their meal, increasing the cost by 16.5%.

And this is the reason why the above suggestion will not be added to the do's and dont's list.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Do slow down, sip a cold Red Stripe and enjoy the sights and scenery! One of my favorite things is to people watch on the beach. Chat up some of the vendors, and buy fresh fruit as often as you can.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I get the price of the food before I ask about the fake tax....How ? Is the so called "tax" that we pay recorded when you mostly pay in cash with no receipt? I'm not trying to change any laws but ,ya know,many so called "laws" are ignored in Negril. I am not mistakenly thinking I wont pay it because I wont pay it. How come the cab driver doesn't charge 16% or the chicken stand or the small restaurants in the cliffs?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    I get the price of the food before I ask about the fake tax....How ? Is the so called "tax" that we pay recorded when you mostly pay in cash with no receipt? I'm not trying to change any laws but ,ya know,many so called "laws" are ignored in Negril. I am not mistakenly thinking I wont pay it because I wont pay it. How come the cab driver doesn't charge 16% or the chicken stand or the small restaurants in the cliffs?
    Whynot,

Taxi and tour operators pay a completely different set of taxes. They have their own regulatory government offices to deal with, and the General Consumption Tax doesn't apply.

As I have explained to you before, these "so called laws" are actually what are known as "real laws", even in Negril.

The jerk chicken vendors were all pulled off the road a few years ago and they became regulated. This includes paying GCT on their sales. They now enjoy all the joys of business operations including audits, surprise inspections and general governmental procedures.

This applies to all businesses, bars, restaurants, hotels, stores, etc that are not subject to their own regulatory agencies.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!