Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need your help folks...

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Re: Need your help folks...

So the jerk chicken guy on the road has an electric cash register that records all transactions and he gives the govt the 16% tax I paid on my meal,honor system,right? Joke

User Info Menu

One of the exceptions to the GCT (general consumption tax) is taxi fares.

However, we pay income tax and are required to report income.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Don't risk it, PLEASE...

This JA Observer story came across my feed yesterday. I've witnessed close calls before, but this one was bad and could have been worse. Please spread the word... don't patronize these guys!

Also it happened (again) during our reach at the end of October... hay burner took a dump at the water line right in front of us.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...=MobileArticle

User Info Menu

Yes we saw this go down, from the deck at white sands. :-(

User Info Menu

I like the 'Do' list ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LivinInThe603 View Post
    hi rob,

do: research-> maps, activities, restaurants, how to change money, drivers/tour guides and taxis, hotels, approximate pricing
    do: learn the art of the respectful "no, thanks"
    do: remember you are a guest (aka, don't be THAT guy)
    do: know your personal boundaries
    do: I strongly agree that people should know and respect off season food restrictions, such as lobster
    do: find a balance between safety and safe risks- don't be afraid to try new things, but don't make yourself vulnerable or engage in risky behavior
    do: take advantage of opportunities to engage with local folks; domino games, property tours, conversations, etc
    do: remember many people are working hard to ear their meager living and respect proper donation channels such as the St Anthony's kitchen or NEET
    do: do what you want! many people, in particular long time visitors, have very strong opinions. I respect the knowledge, but also don't want to feel shamed for going to a super touristy place
    do: volunteer if you can
    do: book activities through vetted and reputable agencies
    do: keep your personal business personal, for example your hotel or room number
    do: be genuine when you meet new people (goes back to being respectful as a guest)
    do: ask for help if you need it
    do: recognize people may ask for a few dollars if you accept their help
    do: recognize the cultural norms are likely different than at home
    do: wear beach clothes on the beach, and street clothes on the street
    do: leave your best everything at home
    do: have fun, go with the flow, and understand that things might go wrong but you can fix it
    do: remember you are in a sea front, tropical location: bugs and wear and tear are a part of life

do: blue hole mineral spring
    do: Half Moon Beach and Calico Jack's Pirate Shack
    do: check out rick's cafe
    do: one love bus
    do: seastar saturday night show
    do: boat or catamaran cruise
    do: west end exploring
    do: have a beer at the police station!
    do: check out red ground

User Info Menu

Do stop at a tiny off the beaten path bar, and by a local a beer. Start a conversation, and make a new friend.
    I've had some of these friends for years. One even flew to New York, and I was able to show him the sights the same way he showed me in his home town. Respect Kumar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Ok, rants over.lol One safety tip I follow is when I flag down a route taxi, I will only get in if there is the driver only, no one else, that's my safety tip I follow always !!
    Defeats the purpose of the route taxi...just saying. We like chatting up the locals and they us - always fun.