Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need your help folks...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Need your help folks...

A visitor was just injured falling from one of those horses on the beach. We always recommend that you ride In an authorized, insured and legal area (such as Jamwest) and consider riding the horses on the main Negril beach as one those things NOT to do.

We have been creating a list of do's and don't's while visiting Negril. What are some of the things that you think should be on the list?

We have no update on the extent of the injuries the visitor has suffered, but we are hoping for the best outcome.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Need your help folks...

Do not buy lobster or conch when out of season. Do not but any objects/trinkets made from coral.

User Info Menu

Don't jump off the cliffs if you have been drinking.

User Info Menu

Ugggh !!! It took a tourist to get killed by a jet ski for those to be banned. I knew it was a matter of time with a horse incident. I always though that a small child would be trampled. Those horses do not belong on the beach, and why they are allowed, I will never understand !!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Ugggh !!! It took a tourist to get killed by a jet ski for those to be banned. I knew it was a matter of time with a horse incident. I always though that a small child would be trampled. Those horses do not belong on the beach, and why they are allowed, I will never understand !!!
    Just the facts Ma'am... The jetski ban was already being tabled in Parliament because a tourist lost control and killed a young Jamaican child on a beach on the other side of the island. The incident in Negril prompted the island wide ban weeks later. The ban has been lifted but the operators in Negril have chosen not to resume operating.

There has been unfortunately many incidents involving those horses. Which is why this will be high on our list of what not to do in Negril.

Soooo... In the meantime, make sure that you let everyone you know coming to Negril not to ride those horses on our main beach. No demand, there will be no supply...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Ok, rants over.lol One safety tip I follow is when I flag down a route taxi, I will only get in if there is the driver only, no one else, that's my safety tip I follow always !!

User Info Menu

Yup I saw a glimpse of it as I was lounging at WS it happen in front or close to Charela...

There was a lady riding the horse earlier several times today and the last time I saw her she was advertising telling the folks lounging in front of WS that the horse was safe, obedient & beautiful and that we all should give him a try,, she was even riding the horse without the guy holding tightly to the rope...one thing I notice when she got off the horse she was rubbing the horse face with her face and the horse didn't like that and it was moving it's head back and forth as if to get away...the rider was in a hurry trying to leave while she was still trying to hug the horse, I believe he might have seen the cops as they were on the beach alot in the last few days...

I say all this to say I wonder if it was her because I haven't seen her since the accident. Nonetheless, I pray all goes well for whom ever it was...
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!

User Info Menu

Mi girl !!! you know you can't check in without me asking how everything is going.......how do you love the WS.. ...???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Mi girl !!! you know you can't check in without me asking how everything is going.......how do you love the WS.. ...???
    Hey mi friend I'm missing you badd! I'll email you my full report!

User Info Menu

hi rob,

do: research-> maps, activities, restaurants, how to change money, drivers/tour guides and taxis, hotels, approximate pricing
    do: learn the art of the respectful "no, thanks"
    do: remember you are a guest (aka, don't be THAT guy)
    do: know your personal boundaries
    do: I strongly agree that people should know and respect off season food restrictions, such as lobster
    do: find a balance between safety and safe risks- don't be afraid to try new things, but don't make yourself vulnerable or engage in risky behavior
    do: take advantage of opportunities to engage with local folks; domino games, property tours, conversations, etc
    do: remember many people are working hard to ear their meager living and respect proper donation channels such as the St Anthony's kitchen or NEET
    do: do what you want! many people, in particular long time visitors, have very strong opinions. I respect the knowledge, but also don't want to feel shamed for going to a super touristy place
    do: volunteer if you can
    do: book activities through vetted and reputable agencies
    do: keep your personal business personal, for example your hotel or room number
    do: be genuine when you meet new people (goes back to being respectful as a guest)
    do: ask for help if you need it
    do: recognize people may ask for a few dollars if you accept their help
    do: recognize the cultural norms are likely different than at home
    do: wear beach clothes on the beach, and street clothes on the street
    do: leave your best everything at home
    do: have fun, go with the flow, and understand that things might go wrong but you can fix it
    do: remember you are in a sea front, tropical location: bugs and wear and tear are a part of life

do: blue hole mineral spring
    do: Half Moon Beach and Calico Jack's Pirate Shack
    do: check out rick's cafe
    do: one love bus
    do: seastar saturday night show
    do: boat or catamaran cruise
    do: west end exploring
    do: have a beer at the police station!
    do: check out red ground
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion