Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Traditional Jamaican Christmas - Need Suggestions

User Info Menu

Traditional Jamaican Christmas - Need Suggestions

This will be our first Christmas in Jamaica. Not quite sure what to expect but want to experience a typical Jamaican Christmas. Any traditions we should know about? Thanks Boardies

User Info Menu

Re: Traditional Jamaican Christmas - Need Suggestions

Christmas in Jamaica is about being with friends and family. Christmas Day starts with breakfast of ackee and saltfish, callaloo, breadfruit, fried plantains, boiled bananas/yam/dumplings. Dinner is served late afternoon and curry goat is usually one of the dishes.

After soaking your fruit all year long, Jamaican Black cake (rum cake) is served with sorrel. There's always a comical discussion of who has made the best sorrel and rum cake. Before slicing into the rum cake, my dad serves the black cake lit up.....he pours overproof rum on top and lights it.

Everybody is super friendly and festive. It's a really nice time of year to be in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    After soaking your fruit all year long, Jamaican Black cake (rum cake) is served with sorrel. There's always a comical discussion of who has made the best sorrel and rum cake.
    After 13 (only) Christmases in Jamaica...I have the nerve to tell folks that my sorrel may be one of the best...lmao!

Jahlove...you're from Winterpeg so you know of Boxing Day. In Jamaica, Boxing day is a fabulous big party in the town centres...everyone having a good time...it's a little different than our "get the best deal" shopping day!!

User Info Menu

I'd rather be at a party than shopping, sounds like great fun. Can't wait to sample the sorrel, rum cake and be part of the accompanying discussion. Thanks to both of you.

User Info Menu

The New Years Eve parties are off the hook!
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

My 2 cents... the round a bout and coco la palm only places i can think of where you see light display... on Christmas eve in sav la mar is known as grand market, most family's go after dinner later in the night.. it gets pretty crazy, kinda like time square on new years eve.. not a lot of decorations displayed in Jamaica as a whole.. some hotels have some decorations, but not much.. also Christmas and boxing day spent at the beach.. you will never see the beach park as busy as it gets on boxing day.. I know a lot of families who kill a goat to be eaten for Christmas.

Side note - a few years back a kid asked me how come Santa don't come to Jamaica? My answer was "reindeer can't mange the heat, he got no way of getting here without reindeer". Since then I have become Santa's helper.. I bring black barbies, hot wheels, action figures, McDonald's toys and a ton of candy. The problem I run into is I never have enuff stuff. So I made it a tradition on Xmas morning I go looking for a few kids that Santa missed.

My name is Brian. I will be in negril all of Dec. I am tall, with glasses, usually wearing a white tee shirt and riding a scooter.. I stick out.. if u see me say Merry Christmas.. have a great time