Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Litter in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Litter in Negril

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    Not to date myself, but I also remember the one with the Indian Cheif with litter at his feet, and tears in his eyes
    His name was Iron Eyes Cody..........However, he was a native born Sicilian

On zion hill we do our best to reduce the plastic...

Our drinking water is "Catherine's Peek" in a large dispenser that is refillable. We carry cloth bags for shopping.

We don't buy 12 or 16 oz drinks in plastic.

One thing is we like "box food" a couple of times a week. Hard to get it without the "box"

Jamaica is aware of the issue and we're working on it

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Several other islands in the region have banned plastic bags. It requires a little forethought if you need to make a supply run, but it is having an immediate impact, and has been mostly positively received.

User Info Menu

Is there any way for a visitor to Negril to recycle their empty containers?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Is there any way for a visitor to Negril to recycle their empty containers?
    What kind of empty containers?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Several other islands in the region have banned plastic bags. It requires a little forethought if you need to make a supply run, but it is having an immediate impact, and has been mostly positively received.
    The government has been working on it...

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...n-plastic-bags

User Info Menu

Name:  036.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  96.8 KB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    What kind of empty containers?
    food and juice cans
    drink boxes, tetra paks
    plastic soft drink bottles
    plastic cups
    empty shampoo, personal hygeine containers
    plastic shopping bags
    glass jars
    cardboard, box board
    aluminum foil
    food packaging.....

If there are viable means for visitors to recycle, I am certain the vast majority, myself included, would be happy to do their part.
    And it is good to know that Jamaica does have businesses that recycle things such as car batteries and toner cartridges, the more the better. The low value or negative value items are more problematic.
    Recycling bins placed along the sidewalk and beach in Negril would be awesome! An opportunity for the Negril Chamber of Commerce and other stakeholders to be a leader in sustainable Jamaican tourism.

User Info Menu

The island is small, too small to accommodate garbage from the tourist industry, let alone their own garbage. I personally feel countries that make money off exporting goods to a country that can't recycle the containers should take the containers back (plastic bottles, glass, cardboard etc). It should be their environmental duty to keep this plastic and glass off the ground and especially out of the ocean's if they are going to make billions of dollars selling it.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    food and juice cans
    drink boxes, tetra paks
    plastic soft drink bottles
    plastic cups
    empty shampoo, personal hygeine containers
    plastic shopping bags
    glass jars
    cardboard, box board
    aluminum foil
    food packaging.....

If there are viable means for visitors to recycle, I am certain the vast majority, myself included, would be happy to do their part.
    And it is good to know that Jamaica does have businesses that recycle things such as car batteries and toner cartridges, the more the better. The low value or negative value items are more problematic.
    Recycling bins placed along the sidewalk and beach in Negril would be awesome! An opportunity for the Negril Chamber of Commerce and other stakeholders to be a leader in sustainable Jamaican tourism.
    While being a "feel good" thing to do, recycling is often not what people think it is. An entire recycling bin full of plastic could be contaminated by a single person throwing a used styrofoam box lunch in with the other recyclables.

The Negril Recycling Centre, before it caught fire this past summer had to face that issue daily. The resorts would send the recyclables there first, where it was sorted and then sold to China in bulk and transported by cargo ship for processing.

Until very recently, all North American recycling was handled the same way.

"Viable means" for recycling, that is and has always been the issue world wide. From the most recent research article I could find, "...it would be hard to declare plastic recycling as anything approaching a success from an environmental perspective, with less than 10% of generation from the U.S. ..."

https://www.thebalance.com/plastic-r...igures-2877886

With all the efforts and strides made in the USA, 90% of the plastic is still not recycled.

Reducing the desire/incentive for plastics over all would be the most effective. As a visitor, purchase drinks in returnable bottles and bring down your toiletries in reusable containers that you can take home with you.

This thread has a connection to the flooding thread as the cause for the flooding (besides the heavy rains) in MoBay. A single drainage gully was blocked by litter and didn't allow the water to flow. It backed up and flooded downtown MoBay.

But the issues and solutions are being discussed in Parliament. Banning of plastic grocery bags (Lada or scandal bags), deposits on all drink bottles and heavy fines for littering.

User Info Menu

I try and do my part by only drinking red stripe in returnable bottles.