Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Litter in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Litter in Negril

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The government has been working on it...

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...n-plastic-bags
    That's good to hear.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Jamaica has made great strides since I first moved here. There was absolutely no garbage pick up anywhere near Negril and burning of your garbage was the only method for disposal.

This was bad, but box lunches actually came in cardboard boxes and all the drinks came in returnable glass bottles. Then came the plastics.

The residents still had no garbage collection, so the plastic was burned as they had done in the past. The toxic smoke immediately became a health hazard. Education of the children started and played a huge part in stopping the burning of plastic.

The knowledge of the dangers of burning plastic and yet having no way to properly dispose of the plastic gave rise to the roadside plastic litter problem. Toss it on the ground and let the government deal with it became the only solution.

During the past few years, Negril and the surrounding areas now have regular garbage pick up. If you walk the road or beach you will see the garbage bins. And people are using them. In our local area not everyone has purchased a bin yet, so they use ours.

Just yesterday we noticed a lessening of the plastic bottles while the NWA was cutting the grass along Norman Manley Blvd.

Changing habits takes time. Instant solutions are generally not the best way to govern. As the old proverb says, the road to hell is paved with good intentions
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob, feel free to vet this organization but they have been very active on facebook organizing clean ups and creating awareness. People may even have seen their signs on the sides of the road or at bus stops, I have

https://nuhduttyupjamaica.org/

https://www.facebook.com/NuhDuttyUpJamaica/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...CS0UkKSc0sSLIw
    Last edited by LivinInThe603; 11-26-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Rob;197176]Here is a short list of recycling centres:

That's your short list, Rob? Pretty impressive! Took a lot of scrolling to get through the "short" list! This shows that the resources are out there.

This is like the worst posting EVER for me. I am an uber environment person and garbage makes me crazy! Here, abroad, in Jamaica! Just stop it! Do your thing for not leaving garbage and talk to people. You are so right, Rob! Educating the kids is important! I have seen people walk out of the mini-marts with 2 items in a big plastic "grocery" bag. They pull out their stuff, discard the packaging material (into the wind, like the Garbage Fairy will take care of it), and toss the bag. Really? You need that bag for what? 15 seconds and now it's part of the problem? I bring 2 or 3 reusable bags with me (I have to here at home anyway ...) and I have a huge beach bag ... so why do I need that plastic bag? Plastic grocery bags are 10 cents here in Montreal, and as of 01 Jan. 2018, they will be "illegal"! No more. Bring your own. I'm proud of my city for that move! I see so many people post "what they need to bring" and it's packages of plastic cups, plates, knives, forks, spoons, straws (OMG! Dont get me started!). Why? Do it boy/girl scout style. Bring 1 metal knife, fork, spoon. Wash and re-use. It's pretty easy and you will find other things you can do that with! It's not just Jamaica. It's the whole planet. We need to get it together and realize that this planet is not our toy. It's not just Jamaica. Do you bring your habits to Jamaica .... or your conveniences?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Towards eliminating 'scandal' bags

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...t=831&cb=false
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

captain wrote: "One thing is we like "box food" a couple of times a week. Hard to get it without the "box"

Jamaica is aware of the issue and we're working on it

Cap"

I found some nice plastic clamshells for take out food that are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. Safer to carry than foam or paper boxes. Also, I have some cloth bags with built in stuff sack that fit in a pocket and unfurl to carry up to 40 lbs like a shoulder bag. I can get 8 beers or two liters of rum in them comfortably. Respect (the planet!) --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Since I posted a week ago, things have been cleaned up considerably along the street and sidewalk.
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!