Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to exchange money on the beach?

User Info Menu

Re: Best place to exchange money on the beach?

I take my little local credit union debit/atm card to scotia bank atm at the roundabout ... I don't pay fees from my CU but do pay a small fee from SB. I think it adds up to about .50 usd.

I usually change at the cambio by bourbon beach, but I've heard of other places with better rates. For the amount of time and money I am spending, those few cents don't add up enough for me to go searching out the very best rate in town. I average about 1 usd to 120 jad.... not sure about the Canadian exchange, sorry.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoners6 View Post
    The woman I spoke with at the scotia bank in Canada was originally from Jamaica and told me that they had a Scotia bank in Negril and that they were the same entity and I wouldn't be charged fees. I told her that was why I was opening the account. Go figure
    I'd checked about 11 years ago...so maybe they've changed the way they work together.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 11-26-2017 at 07:26 PM.

User Info Menu

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,8093,00.html

While I have no idea whether the two bank entities are the "same", the ScotiaBank is part of a Global Alliance which allows users fee-free access in about 130 countries... Jamaica included
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

This is a very interesting topic. It might belong on another thread but that's OK. The only way to conclude this about Scotia Canada and Scotia Jamaica is to ask Stoners6 if he would mind checking back in a few weeks after he gets his first monthly statement from Scotia Canada and report what, if any international fee's were attached to his account. Stoners6, would you mind doing that??

User Info Menu

Also Tangerine Banking which is an online only bank is a subsidiary of scotia bank, they have no fees at all for setting up account and the debit card does not charge extra fees well in Ja if using scotia atm ,very easy to set up an account and transfer money from your main bank. worked great for us.

User Info Menu

Will do
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

I'm a scotiabank customer in Canada with a "Scotia One" account. I used scotiabank ATMs exclusively during our trip in march. I just checked my statement and can confirm I was not charged any surcharges.

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,8093,00.html

Hope that helps
    BS
    https://www.TickerFactory.com/

https://www.TickerFactory.com/

User Info Menu

I us my atm card from my little credit union. I think I get charged $1.30 a transaction from my bank when I take out $30,000J, but I don't recall any charges from the JAH bank end.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I am a Bank of America customer in the States. Probably 5 years ago I called BofA to ask about using the ATM's in Jamaica. The rep told me that Scotia and BofA are "sister companies"... not really sure what that means, but she explained to me that since there are no BofA branches in JA, I could use the Scotia ATM free of charge. Over the course of many trips, I have never been charged an ATM fee nor international fee to withdraw cash at a Scotia ATM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    I am a Bank of America customer in the States. Probably 5 years ago I called BofA to ask about using the ATM's in Jamaica. The rep told me that Scotia and BofA are "sister companies"... not really sure what that means, but she explained to me that since there are no BofA branches in JA, I could use the Scotia ATM free of charge. Over the course of many trips, I have never been charged an ATM fee nor international fee to withdraw cash at a Scotia ATM.
    I wish that was still the case. I only made one transaction on my BofA card last trip, as I was hit with a $6.94 charge using a Scotia ATM. I believe this changed over a year ago.