Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to exchange money on the beach?

User Info Menu

Best place to exchange money on the beach?

Does anybody have any suggestions on the best place to exchange money for Jamaican or what the rate is approximately?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Best place to exchange money on the beach?

There is no best place on the beach. If you're still in Canada, get a basic Scotia Bank checking account with debit card and withdraw Jamaican money from the times square ATM across from Bourbon Beach
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoners6 View Post
    There is no best place on the beach. If you're still in Canada, get a basic Scotia Bank checking account with debit card and withdraw Jamaican money from the times square ATM across from Bourbon Beach
    Obviously that's what you do Stoners6 but I'm confused. When I went to the Scotia bank in Canada, they said that Scotia Bank Canada and Scotia Bank Jamaica are two completely different entities. If you use your Scotia Canada debit card here in Jamaica you are subject to international fee's. Do you pay fee's Stoners6??

User Info Menu

Before we had a JA bank account we used our TD card which works at most ATM.s Tell the bank (in canada) what you intend to do and they will set you up with a plan which will avoid Canadian service charges. You cannot avoid the JA services however.You get charged per transaction so take out as much as the card will allow.The machines which dispense $5000.00 dollar bills will allow you to take out at least $50,000.00 JA at a time. Hope this helps

User Info Menu

brownsd54 was correct about the Scotia bank It does not help you in JA with a Canadian Scotia bank account.We have done the legwork than became members of the Jamaica National

User Info Menu

I got my scotia card and account two weeks ago, the week before I left for Jamaica. From the Scotia bank on portage avenue and vimy road in Winnipeg. There are no atm fees and the excange is around 95 J for a Canada buck. It's a perfect way to operate without a safe
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

Does the JA Scotia bank add fees?

User Info Menu

No fees. Scotia bank Negril and Scotia Bank Canada, same bank.

User Info Menu

Interesting Stoners, as I was told in Canada and here in Jamaica the same thing as Brownsd...Scotia Bank Jamaica and Scotia Bank Canada are different entities.
    There is an account that you can sign up for at Scotia that doesn't charge ATM/ABM fees...but I think most banks have this option.

User Info Menu

The woman I spoke with at the scotia bank in Canada was originally from Jamaica and told me that they had a Scotia bank in Negril and that they were the same entity and I wouldn't be charged fees. I told her that was why I was opening the account. Go figure