Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burial of ashes at sea

User Info Menu

Burial of ashes at sea

Yes, I know, I've been posting about this for a year. But now I have my reservations for October, and I'm confused about whether I need to get anything "official" (other than bringing a copy of the death certificate) in order to bring the cremated remains into Jamaica. I have purchased a biodegradable urn (I think it's made of paper and bark), and a biodegradable bag that goes inside). The urn is TSA certified but I will double check with TSA first. American Airlines allows them in carry-on bags. SATP, where we will be staying, has said they will get us a boat to take us out far enough to do this. So the only potential fly in the ointment is what happens upon arrival in Jamaica. (We have the Club MoBay service included.)

This link indicates that a transit permit is required. http://mfaft.gov.jm/wp/transportatio...ns-to-jamaica/ It is unclear whether an individual is required to do this, or if this is just for funeral homes. The cremation was five years ago so this is not a funeral home-to-funeral home situation.

Does anyone know if I need to get a transit permit? If you have ever done burial/scattering at sea in Jamaica, can you please share how you handled getting them into the country? Thanks so much.

User Info Menu

Re: Burial of ashes at sea

I do not have an answer for you but wish you all the bestwith this. I am eager to hear how it went when you return home.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Here is a detailed thread from a few years ago:

https://negril.com/forum/showthread....-type-question
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I hope this goes as easily as it should and I’m sure this will be beautiful! I’d love for my family to do the same for me. There would be no better place for me to spend eternal rest than Negril.

User Info Menu

I have participated in such a ceremony, but I did not transport the ashes myself. The person who did the transportation simply put the remains in their luggage. If you tell no one, no permission is required.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
    I have participated in such a ceremony, but I did not transport the ashes myself. The person who did the transportation simply put the remains in their luggage. If you tell no one, no permission is required.
    This is always what I just wondered about. Seems to certainly be the path of least resistance.
    "Let's drink some Stripes!"

User Info Menu

My parents loved cruising and loved the Pacific. We mixed 1/2 of each of their ashes together, acquired a biodegradable urn etc. as stated above. Contacted RCCL and made arrangements before hand.
    Told TSA authorities when entering airport security, told screeners at Port. Talked with officers on ship. Off coast of Mexico we were told to go to a lower deck and at rear with officer. We all went out of little balcony, said some prayers, etc. and tossed packet overboard. At time I tossed it the officer keyed his walkie talkie and said something. Later on we were presented with certificate and coastal map showing coordinates of where my parents ashes were tossed into the Pacific. Hong Kong was their favorite city and if we ever get there we will spread the remaining ashes.

User Info Menu

We sprinkled my fathers ashes off a mountain top, and although I know the exact spot I think of him as in the wind. Whenever the wind blows I know he’s near. The same can be felt with the worlds oceans.

User Info Menu

This is a short excerpt from a novel I wrote a while back. The scene is two young ladies, sisters, who scatter their fathers ashes on the reef at sunset in Negril.

Thomas was sipping on his first Red Stripe of the day when he heard the familiar growl of the Pratt & Whitneys. He looked north and saw Buccaneer’s Bliss climbing out over the water.
    It was a very short hop from the airfield to the reef.
    They circled once while Danika picked a spot to put down on the water.
    Normally, late afternoons in Negril, the breeze will stiffen and the water will become choppy. But this day was not like that. The breeze was light, the sea was flat, and the sky was cloudless.
    The conditions were perfect for the ceremony.
    Since departing the aerodrome Danika and Kate had conversed little. They were preoccupied, each lost in their own thoughts.
    They put down on the beach side of the reef. Danika taxied to one of the anchor buoys that were used by the boats that visited the reef daily. Since it was late in the afternoon, the glass-bottom boats and snorkelers had long since departed. Kate and Danika had the entire reef to themselves.
    Kate opened the rear door. She removed her sandals and climbed out onto the top of the aircraft. She walked forward over the cockpit and stepped down onto the bow. When she spotted Danika watching her through the cockpit window she smiled at her.
    She opened the clamshell doors and hopped down into the bow compartment. There she located the boathook, which she used to snag the anchor buoy. She then secured the Goose using the nose cleat.
    Kate peered over the side and down into the water. The dark shapes of coral heads formed a shifting mosaic on the sandy bottom. She gazed at the shore – a long strip of white sand decorated with colourful buildings and framed by the green hills that rose in the distance. Kate turned to face the sun, which was now hovering just above the horizon. Closing her eyes she tilted her head and, savouring the warmth of the sun on her cheeks and forehead, she breathed deliberately, capturing the moment.
    Danika opened the cockpit windows. She plugged her iPod into the ‘♫’ jack and selected the ‘Sunset’ playlist that she’d created the night before. It was a selection of Bob Marley tunes.
    She turned up the volume and went aft.
    When she got up onto the wing Kate was already sitting there facing the setting sun. She was smoking a joint.
    Danika sat close beside her.
    The orb of the sun was just a finger’s breadth above the sea. They sat quietly, gazing westward.
    “He would’ve loved being here. With all three of his girls,” Danika said.
    Kate nodded slowly. “He would have,” she said quietly.
    A light breeze ruffled across the water, stirring the surface. Buccaneer’s Bliss swung gently on the anchor rode, riding on a sea of tranquility.
    Bob’s voice lifted up from below; “Give thanks and praises to the most high.”
    Kate took the urn out of the backpack and removed the cap. When she saw the ashes inside, her body hitched and a quiet sob escaped.
    The sun kissed the surface of the ocean.
    “Are you ready, Danny?” Kate asked, standing up.
    Danika stood up and put her hand out.
    The opening guitar notes of “Redemption Song” wafted across the waters.
    Kate poured a handful of ashes into Danika’s open palm, and then took some herself.
    “I miss you, Pops,” Kate said, tossing her father’s ashes high towards the setting sun.
    “I love you, Dad,” Danika said. She spread her fingers and let the light breeze carry the ashes away.
    They watched as the ashes dispersed and settled lightly on the surface of the water.
    Kate reached into the backpack and took out a bottle of Red Stripe. She popped the cap, shook the bottle vigorously, and then jetted the spray out over where the ashes had fallen.
    They looked on for a moment. Then Kate tipped the bottle up and took a sip of the foamy remnants. She passed it to Danika who finished it off.
    “You got any more of that?” Danika asked.
    “You bet.”
    They sat quietly atop the wing and shared another Red Stripe. The topmost limb of the sun winked below the horizon.
    “Things will never be the same, will they Danny?” Kate said, her eyes still fixed on the horizon.
    “No, they won’t,” Danika replied, simply. Then she added, “Let’s just take it a little bit at a time, okay?”
    Kate reached down and took Danika’s hand. They sat and watched as the horizon as deep indigo crept into the sky above them.
    After a while Danika stood up. “We better get going,” she said. “It’s near dark, and there are no lights at the strip.”
    When they landed at the airfield it was dusk.
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

That's a moving passage from a great book. It's about time I dusted off my copy and read it again. Thanks Kahuna!