Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those here or coming in the next few days...

Administrator

User Info Menu

For those here or coming in the next few days...

There has been reoccurring roadblocks on the short West End. This in protest of two young Jamaican men who died on their cycle in a freak accident involving a downed powerline.

We have been monitoring the situation from Canoe and MiYard. There is true pain and frustration being felt by the demonstrators, and they are blocking the road with old fridges and tires and the occasional fire.

We just left as the latest fire near Canoe had burned itself out, with the police and fire department on site.

Walking back to the car, we had already heard rumors of gun shots, which were actually bottles and/or cans popping in the fire. Even at the height of this protest, locals and visitors alike were walking around the roadblock.

I am sure that there will be plenty of rumors all over the net, but at present about all that can be said is that the West End Road is blocked at Westland Mountain Rd.

We will keep you updated on to any changes.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: For those here or coming in the next few days...

Linston tells me the people are angry that JPS didn't repair the bad wire which was reported for a day.

Roads block are the usual form of protest in Jamaica. No violence that he has heard of.

He dropped an arriving visitor off from MoBay airport with no issues.

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 12-13-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Hey, Rob... just for my own curiosity, do you know how old the two individuals killed were? I saw an article posted that said one was 21, however other folks are stating no, it was boys on bicycles, and the article is wrong.

Whatever the age, this is a tragedy.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the "heads up" Rob. We're arriving on Saturday and it's good to have this information ahead of time.

Administrator

User Info Menu

We have driven through all the areas with the no longer roadblocks.

Plenty of people are still justifiably upset, but there is nothing to warrant avoiding the West End.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We have driven through all the areas with the no longer roadblocks.

Plenty of people are still justifiably upset, but there is nothing to warrant avoiding the West End.
    Mi Pray everyone BE safe. Life is precious, do not **** that up.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    Hey, Rob... just for my own curiosity, do you know how old the two individuals killed were? I saw an article posted that said one was 21, however other folks are stating no, it was boys on bicycles, and the article is wrong.

Whatever the age, this is a tragedy.
    The young men were in their early twenties, one possibly in his late teens. Contrary to what some have posted on social media, they were both riding on a single motorcycle.

Here is the latest from the Observer:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...1?profile=1373

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The young men were in their early twenties, one possibly in his late teens. Contrary to what some have posted on social media, they were both riding on a single motorcycle.
    yea mi just flown in to Mobay..........and was taking my 5 hour ride to mi place on PeWee Lane when came across the first road block......
    was already having a bad day as landed in Mobay and SouthWest never sent half the passengers der checked bags......kmt
    so after being in bumper to bumper traffic in MoBay for hours cause of the rain.....got to Negril and hit the road block where the accident happened
    so the driver didn't know Negril so I directed up thru Mt Airy thru Orange Hill and down thru Hogg Heaven and onto to the West End Road......

so yesterday mi used mi bicycle to go downtown.....and the idiots where trying to stop mi from riding mi bicycle....but mi kept peddling.....
    on the way back it was worse.....they had multiple road blocks and one of the guys didn't want mi to pass........
    so him tried to grab mi as mi was passing thru some burning logs but his grip wasn't good and only tore mi shirt.......
    probably the most unpleasant experience mi have had in Jamaica....sign of the times
    times are tuff here and much worse than the past and unfortunately the criminal element is showing it's face big time...

for anyone that is flying SouthWest into Mobay this Winter till mid January ......DO NOT USE DEM.....
    dem got this stupid Bag Embargo thingy and they think it's alright not to ship some customer bags on your flight........
    mi like to choke the bean counters at SouthWest for this foolishness..........mi in Negril and still don't have mi 2 checked bags....
    and it's been two days...........kmt

however good to back home and hopefully the ocean will calm down so mi can do mi snorkeling........mi love it......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

We criss crossed the roadblocks most of the day yesterday. Starting at noon at Canoe, we met people who were coming from the far West End. Returning around 4, we walked up to Lance's and by 7 the road was cleared enough to drive.

We did not hear a word from anyone and no one tried to touch any of us. There was quite a bit of foot traffic, we saw many friends while making the trek.

User Info Menu

I also passed through this road block a few times yesterday and didn't see or hear no trouble .
    Just a protest .
    Had to catch two taxis to get through though .

It's all cleared up now