Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Update on my father

User Info Menu

Update on my father

Thank you very much for prayers.

My father was discharged from the skilled nursing facility November 19. I thought that I would be able to take care of him with the help of a caregiver but I soon realized that would not be possible due to how much care he needed and how much it would have cost, which is absolutely sickening. Something has got to be done about that here in the states, you have to be very wealthy to afford 24 hour care in your home. My sister came down and helped but even with her help it was very difficult, especially at night as he hardly slept. We took turns watching him. One of the placement agencies that was recommended when he was in ER, was able to find him a bed in a private care home about 20 minutes from his house and we took him there November 30th. There are only 3 other residents. They have 2 caregivers at all times and it is a little more than he can afford but it costs more due to the Alzheimers and they take great care of him. He cannot walk or stand and is still very afraid that he will fall. He grips the wheelchair arms and the railing in his bed. He thinks that he is standing when he is lying in bed. Yesterday, he was accepted into Hospice. The house is so empty without him. I spend about 3 hours with him every day but I miss him so much when I am at home.

User Info Menu

Re: Update on my father

MY Heart goes out to you and your family. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

User Info Menu

Keeping you in our prayers.

User Info Menu

Peace and prayers to you and your family.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

You are in my thoughts so much and I wish you and family much love and peace.

User Info Menu

Prayers to you and your family. Alzheimer's and dementia are truly evil.

User Info Menu

This is such a difficult time. I went through something similar here with my Mum. I empathize with you. Stay strong.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I’m sorry you and your father are going through this. I’m sending you a big hug and positive thoughts for both of you.

User Info Menu

Be strong. Have faith and know that your father, while he may not be able to express it, takes great comfort in your efforts to help and care for him through this tragic illness. My prayers go out to you and your family during these difficult times.

I too went through a similar situation with my mother due to a traumatic brain injury. You'll find strength you never realized you had and get help from places you would least expect it.

User Info Menu

sending you and your family positive vines and prayers.

when my mother was in hospice i actually felt relief, because the nurses there were so kind and attentive. please know that you're not alone in this.