Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Beach lodging Q

User Info Menu

Hey ohliz,

Really appreciate your info! Enjoyed the blog too, skipped to the one on your trip to Ludington which looks a lot like my photo albums, being a Michigander & having a family place "up north".

Put most of my safety concerns to rest - if a solo gal didn't have probs with driving around then a middle-aged couple prolly wont either.

Your rate for that rental is something I cant get close to! Maybe I need to look beyond renting a car right at Sangster.

Ideal for us would prolly be rent in MoBay, head east til we cant go east any more, then head southwest til we cant go west anymore (detouring into the Blue Mountains for a time), then drop the car off in Negril for a week there. See how many interesting spots we find along the way...

Shoulda opened a "driving in Jamaica" thread for our dialogue here, eh?

KJ
    Last edited by KenJ; 11-04-2011 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Open a new thread, you'll get a lot of responses

I agree that there isn't much point in having a car IN Negril. Blue Mountains are doable but that is some challenging driving. If you do go that way, know that the road from Buff Bay down to Kingston via Newcastle has been closed for years and as far as I know still is. Landslide up top. You can cut over on the road that has Stony Hill and the botanical gardens though - aka the Junction Rd. Or you can go around the coast way and check out St. Thomas. I'd like to see more of that parish than I have...Bath hot springs, more mountain hiking and the lighthouse and beaches around Morant Bay are on my bucket list.

I really did go out of my way not to drive at night if I could avoid it. It's much harder to see potholes and all that, of course. But I also found that there are some serious drunk drivers out at night too. Coming back (as a passenger) from Luminous Lagoon to Jamaica Jewel in Duncans one night, we followed a pickup truck that was weaving ALL OVER the main north coast highway. We were too scared to pass it, because it moved so far to the right and left. It finally pulled to the side of the road, hopefully to sleep it off....we passed it as fast as we could. I was REALLY glad not to be driving.

If you do have to drive at night, use extreme caution, lock your doors and close your windows. The latter advice comes from an experience on a remote road in St. Mary we had to travel at night...bag was snatched from back seat. Recovered the bag later, but there it is.

For your rental - have you looked at Island? Chalis? The former has a great fleet and locations all over JA, the latter a bit cheaper and used by a friend or two in the past. The one I used, Sparks base din Negril, was great and had very personal service, and was recommended to me by another n.com boardie, Cindy. I'd recommend that one too.
    Last edited by ohliz; 11-04-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling