Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Beach lodging Q

User Info Menu

North Beach lodging Q

Hello Negrilites!

Am planning 1st time trip to Jamaica to attend wedding in Negril in late February. The happy couple is staying at Sandals Negril with a few guests and the bulk of the group are staying at Beaches. AIs don't interest me & my lady so we are looking to tour the island some and then stay nearby for a few days. Looks like Our Past Time and Sea Wind are both close by Sandals/Beaches and have similar costs to one another, similar reviews on TripAdvisor too - many folks loved each, although the bug probs reported at Past Time were less concerning than the probs with hard beds and bussed-in beachies reported at Sea Wind, FWIW. My lady has allergies to contend with too, perfumes/flowers/pollens.

So looking for any other thoughts on these resorts or others within easy strolling distance. Oh, am aware of the entry fees that Sandals charges & think we will be easily ahead of the $ game.

Looking to stay in the West End for a few days first too, leaning toward Banana's Garden for the private bungalows and proximity to everything while being near to all. Comments here also welcome.

Rest of Jamaice tour is still in progress right now (rent car & just wander with travel guidebooks?), sure to be more q's coming though!

Thanks in advance!

KJ

User Info Menu

Word of advice if you have never driven in JA I would hire a driver. They are also very knowledgeable and know where to take you and where not to. IMO

User Info Menu

TY mn fan, have seen a fair number of anti-driving posts and some that were pro or neutral. Only the latter seemed to have much detail though, and mostly about driving, not what areas not to stray into.

Your point is taken.

User Info Menu

Treehouse is down at that end of the beach too.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

problem with Sandals and Beaches is that they are so far from everything..........
    but the good news no matter where you stay on the beach......
    you only be a $100J(each) taxi ride from your friends at Beaches and Sandals.......
    even staying at like SeaWinds it be a bit of a long walk to get to Sandals.......
    think SeaWinds and Negril Treehouse are two great suggestions...........
    and I would suggest Coco LaPalm as another choice..........
    go NegrilOneStop.com and check out the special prices on different places.......

doesn't sound like you need to be wata side on the Cliffs.........
    so you have a lot of options on da Cliffs..........
    Catcha Gardens and SeaStar are two very reasonably priced places to stay.........
    Blue Cave Castle on da wata is really hard to beat and priced right........
    Moonlight Villas on da wata is great too and Debbie aims to please.........

so many places, so likkle time.........

Enjoy!

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Thanks Marko & poolguywindsor (almost a neighbor there),

I see now that Sea Wind isn't really close to Sandals - google maps is VERY confused about Negril business locations, hoping the negrilinfo.com map is accurate.

Looks like Past Time is only regular hotel that is close at all, plunked right between Sandals & Beaches Sandy Bay. Downside is that it is far from all else, but as you said rides are cheap. Struggling now with desire to be in middle of everything vs close to wedding party and quieter.

Might get wrong impression of Negril, being in quiet place on the cliff too, eh?

Still pondering on adding more days to tour rest of island. Need to quit thinking soon & start doing.

KJ

User Info Menu

For the westend check catcha falling star gardens, Negril Escape, both are not far from Banana Shout gardens and Rick,s cafe. If it were me I would pick Treehouse, Seawind or Cocolapalm over Our Past time as there are lots of bars and restaurants walking distance from them as Our Past Time not the case. Where are you coming from? I wouldnt wait too long as feb. can fill up pretty fast in Negril.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KenJ View Post
    TY mn fan, have seen a fair number of anti-driving posts and some that were pro or neutral. Only the latter seemed to have much detail though, and mostly about driving, not what areas not to stray into.

Your point is taken.
    I put together my thoughts on driving, along with some videos and photos I took on the roads:

http://www.travelsinjamaica.com/2010...xperience.html

As for "areas not to stray into" I really can't think of any except some in Kingston (west of downtown, mainly) and Montego Bay, parts of May Pen and Spanish Town. But except for MoBay all of those are far to the east.

Driving though MoBay on your way somewhere else you won't go pass through any funky areas but if you plan an extended stay there near, say, Flankers, ask and people can probably tell you what areas to avoid.

I've driven as a solo female throughout the country, east, south, west, some waaaayyyyyy off the beaten track areas, and never feared for my safety. I avoid driving at night, though, and do generally know where I am and where I'm headed.

Hiring a driver is also nice, though, you can sit back and enjoy a few drinks while you travel, take pictures, get to know someone who knows the island well. It can be similar in cost or more, it depends where you want to go.

User Info Menu

Hi KenJ

I will send you a private message shortly. I have issues as your wife does and we stay at a place on the beach and a few in the cliffs that will be suitable.

User Info Menu

Hey poolguywindsor, I'm in Michigan near Pontiac, plan to fly outa Flint Bishop. Those prices just went up $10 this week.

Nothing nearby is the two-edged sword for Our Past Time - quiet for a reason ,there's nothing nearby but Sandals Negril & Beaches Sandy Bay. But, that's where the wedding is and where most all the other folks will be at. Trying to balance those two "FWIW"s and see what makes sense for us. Nice to be withing walking distance, but what's the cost/benefit of that...