Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trip report I’ll add to as I remember things

User Info Menu

Re: Trip report I’ll add to as I remember things

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    Did you stop and try the soup at the little place on the side of the road halfway back to Negril?
    We stopped somewhere for soup but it was very close to Negril, and I wouldn't say it was little, relatively speaking. It looked pretty official by Negril standards and the soup was really good. Linston said it was Captian D's go to soup spot, so maybe Cap can chime in with the name. I want to say it was called "Negril Soup Spot"

User Info Menu

Most likely the soup stand at Mr. Chin (Zang Wang) across from the transport center

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Nope didn't know that. I'm just a ignorant country bumpkin, plow-boy, hay-seed, annoying man from Minnesota! grin.
    Last edited by rocknrollfarmer; 12-13-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: ??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    Nope didn't know that. I'm just a ignorant country bumpkin, plow-boy, hay-seed, annoying man from Minnesota! grin.
    haha. just teasing. I playfully dubbed it that a while back after Cosmic Moose came back and raved about it. The fish is good but that sauce, oh man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    MikeyNYC....your trip report is crazy personal and absolutely beautiful.
    I am so glad your girlfriend "gets it"...and Rob and I will be truly honoured when we get the opportunity to meet her. Love to you both!
    Aw shucks. Thanks

User Info Menu

Checked into Travellers on Monday after three great days in a cabin at Firefly. Time for me to get fancy! AC, fridge, indoor shower!!! I think this is my third time staying with them.
    I always get a kick out of how some places like to present themselves. Check in and front desk was very professional and extremely formal. I'm more of a here's your key, your room is that way kind of guy.

I was worried about the state of the pool and bar because I kept hearing about renovations but everything worked out. Pool was accessible and the new deck looks great. The bar wasn't finished yet but they had a make shift bar in the dining room where most, if not all the reg bar items and drinks were stocked. Daily breakfast that was included with my package was great. Had ackee and saltfish with fried dumplings two days and fried eggs with bacon (excellent, crispy, just how i like it!) on the last day. The ackee is offered with, boiled yam, boiled banana, fried plantains, and fried dumplings. I knew this was a ton of food and no way I was getting through all those starches, so asked for only fried dumplings. The next morning, the GF ordered before I got there and forgot to make that request. So we carb loaded. Did our best but still couldn’t finish it all.

Overall, I think Travellers offers a great value, especially for those that want a modern “hotel” experience. Definitely recommended. I personally like a little more “yard” feel; plus the location and beach isn’t optimal in my opinion. Will keep them on the radar, and would certainly jump on another group on in the future.

User Info Menu

Cool report MikeyNYC,
    Yeah, the Jamaican B-fast will fill you up.
    Thanks.

Quality's Mahi with Garlic sauce,
    Its on my list.

Good to carry a small bottle of bug spray.
    Once I went out in the day,
    but did not return until evening.

User Info Menu

Out of sequence, but oh well.

Linston picked her up at the airport where she already had a patty in hand. Stopped to grab me at Firefly and off we went. Asked to go to the ATM and to "China Mon" - He asks "what china mon you want to go to?" I said "whatever is easiest." We ended up at Value Master (?) by the Cambio where we stocked up on snacks and some water. I usually drink the tap water but wanted to get her bottled for the first day. Unfortunately I left her in charge of getting "chips" which meant we had 6 different kinds of cheese puffs, curls, big foot, etc and no banana or plantain chips But that's fine because I had half a dozen wedges of cheese and a couple packs of buns! I explained to her that it's best to plan ahead for food; keep snacks on hand and never wait until you're hungry to go out to eat.

Stopped in the cambio but there were at least a dozen people in there waiting, so we just hit the Scotia instead. Hopped in the car and headed up "One Love Drive" - It was quite a few turns before I realized, oh crap, "Uh Linston, sorry man we're staying at Travellers" haha. I spaced out and was just enjoying the scenery.

After check in, I sat on the patio and enjoyed my bun and cheese while she unpacked. I jumped in the shower and when I came out she was just finishing one and asked why does this taste so good? I said I don't know but it's mushy and delicious and always hits the spot. Honestly it’s one of my favorite things when I visit and I always look forward to it. It’s the little things

Later on she said she laughed to herself when I asked to go to the “ChinaMon” because she wasn’t entirely sure what it meant. I think she thought it was code for something. After walking in the store, she saw a Chinese guy walk out of the office and thought “oh, there he is.”
    Last edited by MikeyNYC; 12-13-2017 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Had dinner at Chicken Lavish on Friday (?) night. Hard to believe this was my first time there. It's been on the list for so many trips but I just haven't made it until now. That's one of the things I love about Negril. It's small enough that, it's fairly easy to learn the lay of the land and get yourself around once you're comfortable, but there's so many places to eat and explore, that you can’t get bored. The only place I’ve been that comes close in that aspect is Playa Del Carmen but obviously the vibe is totally different there.

Wish we went with more of an appetite but after a full day of drinking and grazing, it was tough to change gears for a full meal. She got the sweet and sour chicken and I got 2 pcs of fried. Fried chicken was crunchy, juicy and cooked perfectly. The s&s was so-so for me. I think it was a little bit flat and too close to s&s that I would get from a Chinese take out back home. I think that’s what confused me. I was expecting something more. I know that others love it though. We had so much food left, we asked for it to be boxed. Our driver didn't have dinner yet, so it didn't go to waste.

I think most boardies have been there, but if you haven’t, try to make it a point to do so. Doc (the owner?) is a great host and seems like a warm and genuine guy. Will certainly be going back.
    Last edited by MikeyNYC; 12-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.

User Info Menu

MikeyNYC wrote: "I sat on the patio and enjoyed my bun and cheese"

HA ha, The local kids love, love that combination too.

"Fried chicken was crunchy, juicy and cooked perfectly."

Man, I forgot about that place ........AGAIN.

Thanks for the reminder.