Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trip report I’ll add to as I remember things

User Info Menu

Re: Trip report I’ll add to as I remember things

Bun and cheese is traditional Easter food.

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Considered calling a car and taking a trip up to the cliffs to check out Kool Vibz or maybe 3 dives but after a long day in the sun and many redstripe and overproofs we just couldn’t commit, so decided to keep it close. Had been craving Chances jerk chicken pizza for a couple days so decided to take a walk up to Chances from TH. We were the only ones there when we arrived. Store clerk sitting in front of the gift shop and one bartender. I asked her if they were open, “ya mon.” Cool. Ordered a couple drinks, jerk pizza well done and asked if they had any scotch bonnets. She checked with the kitchen and I was in luck. Got a couple of those diced up on the side. Pizza took about 30 minutes but we were in no rush. Just enjoying our drinks and sitting in the sand while we waited.

An interesting crew showed up in a van. Couple Sikh looking dudes and girls but sounded like brits and instead of traditional Sikh head garb, had Rasta looking head wraps on and tie-dye tshirts with pot leaves on them. They were with a what I guess was their driver and a female tour guide or fixer that did most of the talking to the staff. They were looking for pizza but also wanted a veggie burger. They put an order in for a couple pies and then jumped back in the van. Maybe to search out that veggie burger? They came back about 45 minutes later, picked up their pies and left. I’m guessing they came from one of the AIs and had never been before.

I’ve learned that setting expectations is a good way to keep people happy. I explained to the GF that this shouldn’t be compared to “NY style pizza” and should be judged on its own merits. I think it’s a decent pie for Negril but I’ve had limited exposure. Our pie came out and was what I expected, which was nice. Thin deep dish with a slightly doughy crust. Even cheese, sauce and topping distribution. Some olive oil in the bottom of the pan would have helped it crisp up a little more but we were happy. And I got my scotch bonnets which made me really happy. Few more drinks, wrapped up a couple slices to go, then headed up to Firefly. Heard there was live music at SunBeach but didn’t want to deal with a crowd, so we just chilled at FF in some loungers under the SeaGrape tree (prob my fav spot in Negril) and listened to the music coming from next door. After the band wrapped up, walked over to SB for a drink then headed back. Was a short walk and no real hustle either way, which was nice.
    Name:  06A869C2-3BC4-49A3-A8CA-0D1BA875B521.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  20.3 KB

Back to TH for a couple more drinks in the room, then down to the beach to watch the stars. Nice mellow evening.

User Info Menu

So, what does a shot of over proof feel like. Burn light hell, or is it tolerable? Bringing my 20 something kids if feb, they like shots but I'm not a tequila fan. Wondering what the Whey & Sons is like, never had it in a shot form.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irine View Post
    So, what does a shot of over proof feel like. Burn light hell, or is it tolerable? Bringing my 20 something kids if feb, they like shots but I'm not a tequila fan. Wondering what the Whey & Sons is like, never had it in a shot form.
    My drink for years, has been Irish whiskey neat - no chaser, so I don't think it's too bad. Definitely hits me a little on the way down. That said, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially for inexperienced drinkers. More than a couple will put a youngin on their ass, that is if they don't toss their cookies after the first one. You probably already know, but if not, it's 126 proof, typical spirits are 80. I'd keep them away from shots, especially during the day in the hot sun. If they must do shots, stick with some of the vodka (flavored or otherwise) chilled then served straight up. Also many places on the beach have "specialty" shots that are cut with fruit juices and mixers that will help cut the alcohol.

User Info Menu

The first shot / drink is always the worst. I'd avoid shots. Respect your alcohol. Sip whatever you want, but count to 3 before swallowing. This softens the blow to whatever you're drinking dramatically! I'd suggest the Appleton before the overproof for the lightweights. Or even better, keep them to the rum punch. Nobody want to be calling housekeeping for a mop

User Info Menu

I drink 'proof (overproof) rum and water. Nowadays, proof rum is only 126. Back in the day the label read "guaranteed full strength"

I worked at Appleton and at that time "full strength" was about 165 - 170 proof. To be stronger than other rum producing countries's 151 proof.

It was and is till this day (in the hills) it is each drinkers taste that determines how much water or "chaser" to add.

When I pour drinks for my work crew (don't tell OSHA ) , I pour straight 'proof rum in one glass. A "chaser" (ting, ginger beer, water, etc) in a bottle and a bowl of ice. Each man make his own.

Me no whan cut de rum and mash up de mahn drink

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 12-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I prefer whiskey as well. We drink a lot of irish car bombs, but hard to find in Negril. Bring home overproof every year to make rum punch. As far as the kids go they drink shots regularly, I'll tell them it's overproof, we'll see how they do. Had my brother on the beach a few years back, told him 1st rum punch is a little tough, 2nd tastes better and the 3rd you don't give a sh#*. After 3 or 4 you should go back to beer. My brother had 4 before he tried to get up out of his lounger to get another one as they were "not very strong". When he picked himself up off the sand he stumbled to the bar and got us a couple Red Stripe Lights I'll have to try an Irish Boiler Maker while I'm there (RD Light and overproof), that should be a short day.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I prefer whiskey as well. We drink a lot of irish car bombs, but hard to find in Negril. Bring home overproof every year to make rum punch. As far as the kids go they drink shots regularly, I'll tell them it's overproof, we'll see how they do. Had my brother on the beach a few years back, told him 1st rum punch is a little tough, 2nd tastes better and the 3rd you don't give a sh#*. After 3 or 4 you should go back to beer. My brother had 4 before he tried to get up out of his lounger to get another one as they were "not very strong". When he picked himself up off the sand he stumbled to the bar and got us a couple Red Stripe Lights I'll have to try an Irish Boiler Maker while I'm there (RD Light and overproof), that should be a short day.
    I think I saw Jameson somewhere on the beach. You could grab a bottle at duty free and pack a small togo flask with you each day. Sub the Irish cream with rum cream...some places will have Guinness stout, but you could sub dragon stout. Think we just invented the "Jamaican car bomb"

User Info Menu

Irene, head to Mi Yard in Mary's Bay on the West End Road and order a 1/2 que of JB Overproof, water or pepsi, ice and some limes.
    I personally never enjoyed shots of OP regardless of which brand Wrey & Nephew or JB.
    A 1/2 que is 1/2 a pint.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

It burns like hell, in fact i spit it out on the floor and turned beet red. Now I know why nobody drinks it straight!!

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~