Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking on the Beach at night

User Info Menu

Re: Walking on the Beach at night

A larger police presence would be nice as well. This is one of the heaviest tourist areas in JA. it would be nice to have some regular foot patrol in the evenings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis View Post
    A larger police presence would be nice as well. This is one of the heaviest tourist areas in JA. it would be nice to have some regular foot patrol in the evenings.
    The last couple of years the foot patrol and bike patrol has increased significantly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    anytime i ask a security guards, bar or restaurant manager the same question they strongly recommend taking the road. i've walked the beach and lots of other people do it without incident. but here's the rub - if something bad does happen it will negatively affect the area. its not just your stuff and safety that are at risk, its also the livelihood of the people who work in the Negril tourist industry. bad and even FAKE news travel at the speed of light these days so keep your ass as safe as can be. its good for everyone.
    Never really considered the trickle down effect the way you put it KAM, but I totally agree. Walking the road can actually have the reverse effect too. The less crime there is, the less willing a potential thief would be, since any little thing they do will be highlighted that much more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    Never really considered the trickle down effect the way you put it KAM, but I totally agree. Walking the road can actually have the reverse effect too. The less crime there is, the less willing a potential thief would be, since any little thing they do will be highlighted that much more.
    more job opportunities would help.

User Info Menu

That's true, but there's always the few lazy one who would rather tr for a quick buck, legal or not. I live in NYC where there's more opportunities than anywhere else in the world, and yet plenty of crime. Some target tourists because they know they won't be around to testify if it comes down to it.

User Info Menu

My opinion is that you shouldn’t do anything in Jamaica that you wouldn’t do at home. It’s generally safe but you shouldn’t take unnecessary chances. I stay on the busier well-lit streets or take a taxi.
    Last edited by frankk; 12-13-2017 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    My opinion is that you shouldn’t do anything in Jamaica that you wouldn’t do at home. It’s generally safe but you shouldn’t take unnecessary chances. I stay on the busier well-lit streets or take a taxi.
    Exactly! I think the beach should stay as natural as possible, it doesn't need and poles or other types of construction. Guns are messy in any country the US has problems also. I think night travel should be on the road and in a taxi.

User Info Menu

Have been reading this message board for a few years but just now signed up. Really appreciate all the info available through this site. Rob you do an incredible job running it.

I agree with not adding lights to the beach. There is something really calming about hearing the water and looking out into complete darkness from the hotel.

My experience walking the beach at night is that I havent.. The one time I walked out to the water at night, simply to look around, I was immediately approach by someone from the woods asking if I wanted drugs. It was almost as if they sit in the darkness knowing that we are coming from a lighted area and our eyes haven't adjusted. I stick to the road at night and have NEVER had any issues at all... have met some really nice families on the roadside.

User Info Menu

in my opinion, the road isn't any safer, as compared to the beach at night. I'd actually rather walk the beach at this point. Ultimately, I now use night taxis more than ever. The motorbikes really give me a scare now, as do the dogs, and the hassle of each person trying to sell something or cat call. Maybe I'm getting old!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion