Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spirit Air Buyer Beware

User Info Menu

What happened, max2?

User Info Menu

Well, here goes. It is such a comedy of errors that I hope I can remember all of them.

From ORD, we flew to Fort Lauderdale and then on to MoBay without any problem.

The return trip errors begin about two months before our travel. I received a call from Spirit informing me that our flight time was changed and that we were on a flight that was called a direct flight. The agent on the phone explained that we were to fly from MoBay to Fort Lauderdale and on to ORD. The plane would land in FL but, we would not get off of the plane. We would not go through customs until ORD. I was sent an email saying that I was on flight #436, MBJ to ORD and the times. The email did not even mention Fort Lauderdale.

A few days later, I was thinking about what the Spirit agent on the phone had told me and I thought, maybe, I had misunderstood what the agent said. Customs is always the first entry into the country. So, I called Spirit and asked about our flight. Once again I was told the same thing the first agent had said.

Fast forward to leaving from MoBay. At the ticket counter in MoBay, when I checked in I was given one boarding pass that said I was leaving MoBay and my destination was ORD. I questioned the agent about only one boarding pass. I asked if I should not have a boarding pass from MBJ to Fort Lauderdale and one from Fort Lauderdale to ORD. The agent in MoBay told me I needed only one instead of one to Fort Lauderdale and one from there to ORD because I would not be leaving the plane in Fort Lauderdale.

As were were preparing for landing in Fort Lauderdale, I asked a flight attendant about what I was to do when others were deboarding. Should I just stay in my seat? I was told by this flight attendant that I had to go through customs in Fort Lauderdale. My husband questions him about this and told him what we had been told by three Spirit agents. The flight attendant got on the overhead speakers and announced that everyone must deboard the plane and go through customs.

We should have had one hour and eight minutes to do this. However, our plane was one half hour late leaving MoBay. When we got to customs in Fort Lauderdale there was such a line that we weren't even the room with the customs agents before the line began. We got through this part, got our luggage and ran to check it again. The final call was being called for our flight. Running, we got to the TSA Xray and a TSA agent was calling for all flight #436 people. We shouted that we were #436. The agent called us ahead of everyone and with a walkie talkie radioed to the plane that we were on our way. Of course, at this point we were asked for our boarding passes. We showed the stub from our first boarding. I knew, of course, we didn't stand a chance that it would work and it didn't. We were told to go to the Spirit checkin, which was just a short few steps away and get a boarding pass. We were told that the plane would wait because the pass would only take a minute to get if we told Spirit agents at checkin the we were sent by TSA.

As soon as we got to the checkin counter we flagged an agent and told the agent our situation about TSA sending us and the plane was waiting. I really, really, really had to get a grip on my temper when this agent asked us, "Why did you get off the plane? You were supposed to stay on the plane." Bottom line at this counter no one would help us. We were told to stay in line because others had been waiting a long time and our turn would come.

Needless to say, the plane left without us and without many others that were in the same situation. We didn't know where our luggage was. We were put on standby for a flight that left six and one half hours later. We were given confirmed tickets for the same flight we missed for the next day. We were very fortunate. Some people on our plane did not get confirmed flights until Wednesday (All of this was happening on Sunday.) and Spirit would not do one thing for anyone. We were not given food vouchers. No one was given a hotel room. Many people were asking for supervisors and it seemed to me that those that did ask for a supervisor were treated worse than those of us that just went with the flow.

Since we were the first two people on standby for the flight that was to leave six hours later we made that flight. Of course, the flight was one and one half hours late leaving. But, we did better than all the rest of the people flying on Spirit from MoBay going to ORD that day.

We asked how to find out luggage when we were getting our standby status and our confirmed flight. Spirit in Fort Lauderdale told us that our luggage went to Chicago on the first flight that we missed. How was that possible I asked. It was possible was the reply. When we got to Chicago, we went from pillar to post looking for someone from Spirit to tell us where our luggage was. But, we couldn't get an answer. We finally gave up and decided to deal with where our luggage was the next day. At that very second, my husband looked at the carousel with the luggage from the plane we had just deboarded and our luggage was on that carousel. So, as of this minute, I can not figure out where our luggage was all of that time. Of course, our luggage was important because we did not know if we had to spend the night in Fort Luaderdale and it would be nice to have some things for the stay.

Spirit is a case of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing, in my opinion.

Last edited by max2; 11-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.