Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accompong Town Jan 6 Celebration questions

User Info Menu

Re: Accompong Town Jan 6 Celebration questions

Hope Jamaica has revived you Bill!! Yes that was the number on the card he gave me. Thank you for letting me know.

User Info Menu

Hello All,

So I did make the drive to Accompong despite the warnings, which only inspired me more!! But I live in Appalachia and the roads i drive on every day are very similar but are dirt here and paved there which was much nicer really. BUT I agree it is not for teh faint of heart or inexperienced. I am not trying to be a Jamaica expert but good safe driving is everywhere.
    So my quick trip itinerary was land friday in MoBay at 10:30 AM, get the car and onto rainy and stormy Negril. Luciano Friday night at Roots Bamboo, Sat morning drive to Belmont and hook up with Bigga at Shades guest house for a room that night. Drive 2 more hours to Accompong light rain but cool. Picked up a nice jamaican woman going to Festival as well in Maggoty and head straight up. Not intimidated as like I said i drive on curvy one lane mountain roads everyday but slow going for sure. For some reason they sent me all the way to the top to park at the school instead of making the turn down and parking on street like everyone else. Parked beside some super nice maroon family that had traveled in and cruised around. It was super muddy and tour buses were coming up there and getting stuck so thought we might be there for the night, which was fine. Well finally the tour buses got pushed out and we were able to get about around 5 pm. Was there from about Noon on and ate so much good food, played some street games but didn't win??!!, saw the parade, drank some cane juice and a few guiness, watched the dancing and heard some speakers. Awesome place and view even on dreary day. Drove back to Belmont and ate at Dor's awesome fried chicken, then a big party on beach that night in Belmont. Whew woke up feeling rough but Gwen cook up a nice breakfast and coffee then off to Mayfield falls.
    Likkle more later if anyone cares

User Info Menu

My 3rd time to Mayfield, the place is incredible. The guides are really cool and laid back, at least the 3 I have had, Lester, Dennis , and Andy. This time Dennis took us on another hike after the falls to a place next door that was beautiful. campcabarita.com. Will def stay here at some point in the future.
    Back to Negril Sunday late afternoon and got a room at Barry's for $50 a night. Dinner at Sips and Bites and early night to bed actually. Raining and easy to sleep to the fan. I usually stya on West end but since I had a new with me I thought the beach would have more action for him.
    Monday finally a nice sunny beach day. it was the first trip for my buddy so was glad he got to see what the beach was really like. First day we were there the waves were huge and crashing in. No one in di sea. So much water and sea weed washed up by Sunshine plaza that traffic in both directions was driving on the side walk to get thru to west end. Anyway nice breakfast at Coconuts on beach, best mushroom guy, and just chilled for the day drinking cold Guiness and watching it all go by. Hit favorites Yellow Bird for 2 for 1 drinks later and late lunch at the cook shop beside Drifters. Party at Bourbon beach Monday night but rain came in so we just chilled at Barry's mostly. Tuesday is flying home day so cleaned up the car, went for last swim then Juicy Js for patty's and stew chicken and curry for 400J! My new go to cheap box food spot. Awesome guys trip. The weather was the worst in all my trips but since hanging on beach or cliffs wasn't our main mission it really worked out well. It was cool and breezy so never felt hot and easy to sleep wiyhjout AC. The trip to Accompong has been on my list for a while so glad to do that. The wife would not have been so open to adventure.
    If you haven't been down to Bluefields bay beach or Belmont I would highly encourage. Both have nice beach area. Bluefields has some folks working you but Belmont is pretty empty but great water and some cool places. Check out Luna Sea for a higher end destination in Belmont.
    Oh forgot that we accidentally went thru the Sav market on Saturday, I seem to always make a wrong turn thru Sav. It was cool to see all the cars with their goods. I usually hit the Lucea market when staying at a place with a kitchen, everyting you need there fro sure including some of the best honey I have ever had.
    Rambling now but back to airport for 3 PM flight all good. Happy to answer any questions as I have used this board for years to get new ideas for different activities and places to go and eat. I am pretty cheap so I love finding a bargain. Constantly amazed at the difference in pricing in Negril, but makes the bargain hunt so much fun.
    Back in May with a whole crew so will have the 12 passenger van again woohoo!

User Info Menu

Chrispy, glad you made it in one piece. You never know what you get for a rental car so sounds like everything worked out well for you. One of your visits you should check out the east end of the island and the Blue Mountains. If you think your ride was interesting you gotta see the roads over there in the high mountains. Really scary!! I read yesterday that a van heading up to Hardware Gap in Portland almost got wiped out from a mud slide that would have done them in if it weren't for the driver.

Name:  High Mountain Hut.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  801.3 KBName:  High Country.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  989.0 KBName:  Love bird.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  724.4 KB
    Last edited by johng; 01-11-2018 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Great reporting, thanks man! Photos would be awesome, especially of the drive and the Accompong Town.