Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USA Travel Advisory Against (FALSE) Traveling to Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: USA Travel Advisory Against Traveling to Jamaica

Alert.............Don't go to the west side of Jacksonville Fl. ......................Dangerous there........

So what?

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Re: USA Travel Advisory Against (FALSE) Traveling to Jamaica

Here's my 2cents on this..I'm a about to come back to Negril by the end of the month for my 25th year..(I'm a West End guy)...I must admit last years visit had some real bad issues that made me question whether I would return after my 6 week (Jan-March) stay...I couldn't wait to go home...I've seen a lot of change in the vibe though the years in Negril but have never EVER felt not safe or threatened in Negril or the West End...it wasn't safety issues it was local traffic scam issue (I drive a motorcycle there) by locals that put a very BAD FUNK on the my stay as well as some other local funk...but as time heals all wounds as they say I'm returning..& looking very forward to it! Now that said..I live in 53 miles NW of Chicago...& as our president Trump keeps reminding the American public of Chicago's big time crime..it is & does exist.

User Info Menu

Wow. I agree with TAH on something.

User Info Menu

You have to be careful everywhere you go. When you travel, you always gotta know your surroundings, don't wear flashy jewellery, don't flash your cash and don't ever put yourself in crazy situations. I had an issue once in Negril in the middle of the day right beside the beach. I lived in Kingston for 5 years so I've seen quite a bit. You can't ever be too careful. Two Canadian Jamaican's were killed yesterday in the St. Thomas area in their home, that's all over the news here today. No travel advisory issued.

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~

User Info Menu

Can anyone name a vacation destination with NO crime, besides Fantasy Island?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    Can anyone name a vacation destination with NO crime, besides Fantasy Island?
    Can anyone name anywhere with No crime?
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    Here's my 2cents on this..I'm a about to come back to Negril by the end of the month for my 25th year..(I'm a West End guy)...I must admit last years visit had some real bad issues that made me question whether I would return after my 6 week (Jan-March) stay...I couldn't wait to go home...I've seen a lot of change in the vibe though the years in Negril but have never EVER felt not safe or threatened in Negril or the West End...it wasn't safety issues it was local traffic scam issue (I drive a motorcycle there) by locals that put a very BAD FUNK on the my stay as well as some other local funk...but as time heals all wounds as they say I'm returning..& looking very forward to it! Now that said..I live in 53 miles NW of Chicago...& as our president Trump keeps reminding the American public of Chicago's big time crime..it is & does exist.
    I felt that way two years ago as well after a couple of trips. However, my past two trips things have felt much more chill, especially on the West End. I saw daily roadblocks set up, however in there usual spots. Wish they would change it up a bit, so it's a little less predictable. The Po Po presence was fairly consistent and was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    Wow. I agree with TAH on something.
    As do I. Ping Pong likes to shout down on occasion and it is a turn off. However, I agree that as much time Marko spends on the rock, you think he would beotch a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Can anyone name anywhere with No crime?
    Not likely, but many places with much less crime. However crime is not too far off, just like in Jamaica. I love Tulum and Isla Mujeres, yet just down the road you will see the same travel advisories that Jamaica is receiving. With that said, I did meet a Dutch couple last week that was robbed on the beach during the day. Nice people and I felt bad for them as they were really enjoying their trip, and this put a bit of a damper on it. I feel fortunate in all of my trips, that outside of the occasional irritating higgler, nothing has really happened. I look forward to maintaining that streak.....

Last I looked I haven't seen Negril included in any travel advisory. Carry on as usual peeps.

User Info Menu

I think even some of the language used on the website Rob provided a link to is a bit overwrought... while I never hesitate to travel to Jamaica (as an experienced traveler and generally cautious person), I don't know that I would want anyone I was trying to convince to join me to read that.

User Info Menu

US travel advisory about Jamaica worries hotel association boss

(content removed due to copyright infringement)
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

Since Marko copied the entire text of the Gleaner copyrighted news article and did not give the link or credit to the Gleaner, here is the first couple paragraphs along with the link. Knowing many of the past JHTA presidents, they would be foolish to ignore the new travel advisory. But it echos many of the above comments:

"The Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) says it is concerned about the travel advisory issued by the United States warning citizens about crime here, but it is more worried about the safety of the workers in the industry.

"Crime against visitors is very low, but many of our staff who are living in the volatile communities are faced with this untenable situation,” JHTA president Omar Robinson told The Gleaner this morning."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...sociation-boss
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!