Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not another cell phone question.

User Info Menu

Not another cell phone question.

Okay I lied.

I have picked up a local sim on previous visits but I can now add a plan for $50.00, or $10.00 a day with Telus so it does not make sense to get a local sim. We will also have internet access at CCLP so we can use WhatsApp for most of our calls.

My question is would most restaurants use a cell phone as their main line? I would not want to call on my cell and have them incur international charges on their land line. Telus says that it should be treated as a local call but I am just trying to be sure.

User Info Menu

Re: Not another cell phone question.

We did the plan a few years back and it was $50 as well. What they "forgot" to tell us was that the $50 did not include the roaming fees for your phone. We got hit with $300 roaming fee when we got back. I told my carrier drop the fee or we are out and they did, but I would make sure roaming is included and the $10 a day is the true bottom line.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Administrator

User Info Menu

If you call any Jamaican phone, landline or cell, they incur no cost.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

A sim card and basic package would still be cheaper than changing your plan for the time you're there. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Thanks TAH. Understood.

By adding a package to my phone I can receive and make text's and calls using my cell number. Easier for contact from the kids and parents.

It is also hassle free.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    A sim card and basic package would still be cheaper than changing your plan for the time you're there. Just sayin'.
    I have been able to 'borrow' a local phone from different taxi services in the past. Can't call home but it works great top make reservations or call for a ride. If you have decent wifi WhatsApp is the way to go.

User Info Menu

KoldAM, you couldn't call home because there was no credit on the phone or you didn't want to use up their credit? I usually load my local phone with 1,000J and I can call home for almost two weeks off that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    KoldAM, you couldn't call home because there was no credit on the phone or you didn't want to use up their credit? I usually load my local phone with 1,000J and I can call home for almost two weeks off that.
    Same.
    Also... I'm still waiting for the latest installment, miss vi

User Info Menu

If you have Verizon, they have a travel plan you can add before you go (and just leave on, since it kicks on automatically when it senses an international cell tower) that charges you $10/day in Jamaica (only $2/day in canada or mexico) for use of all your normal services (like unlimited text/talk), including data. So no muss or fuss....